• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop freezes on Surface Devices when pinching and zooming every few minutes

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have two Surface devices with the 11th Gen Intel CPU, both with 32 GB Ram. These are  Surface Pro 8 and Surface Laptop Studio (with RTX 3050 TI), both powerful enough to run photoshop.

The problem is that when drawing on them with a pen (these devices are made for that) and using touch to pinch and rotate the canvas, every several minutes Photoshop will just start to large significantly or outright freeze entirely (right after a pinch/zoom/rotate touch action). This doesn't happen all the time. Most touch actions work just fine, but every couple of minutes, it will fail. This is VERY OFTEN. It can happen every 5 minutes. Even more frequent. However, sometimes it can even be 30 minutes without it happening. It seems random, but it is so severe that it isn't possible to use Photoshop for drawing on the Surface devices at all.

When the issue happens, the only way to solve it is to terminate the process using Task Manager and re-open photoshop. It will always fix the issue immediately (but it will come back in a few minutes). I can rule out heating or device throttling because (1) after shutting and re-opening Photoshop, it runs just fine, and (2) the devices don't get hot when it happens, and Task Manager shows good speeds (3) I even tried to use a cooling stand just for the sake of ruling out heating as the problem.

I don't have another 2-1 computer that isn't a Surface, so I don't know if it is a global issue or Surface-only. However, I did try to replicate the issue on the same computers with the same specs and pen on Krita, Concepts, Sketchable, Affinity Photo, and Ibis Paint. None has that issue.

I tried turning off the "generator," resetting all the settings, increasing RAM allocation to over 80%, disabling flick panning, reinstalling photoshop, updating to the latest versions, and even disabling Windows Ink with a custom PS config (which completely disables any pen support in Photoshop, so obviously, that's ruled out...).

The only thing I did not try and cannot do is turn off GPU support because then I'm not able to use touch and gestures to turn, rotate and zoom in and out on the canvas, which is mandatory for drawing.

Couldn't find anything online for this. Only for Wacom-related issues, so any help is appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worth noting that these computers are i7 models, top specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines