• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. same issue on the save as jpg with copy instead of replacing. Other than that after update to Catalina PS 2020, my jpg, psd, tiff files are unreasonably HUGE. Cant solved the problem and uninstall PS2020 and use back 2019 (files size becomes normal). Anyone has the same problem here? Been using mac for the past 20 yrs and its getting worse after each update.  sigh.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right? Losers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, no resolution on this stupid annoying problem?? So, Adobe...if something's not BROKEN, don't FIX it. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible solution is for all of us to switch to Affinity Photo. Clearly Adobe doesn't care enough about its subscription base to want to do anything anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have stopped asking Adobe for any support of any kind because it is non-existent. There is just a room full of monkeys answering the chat/phone who simply look at a cheat sheet for the app and tell you what they read, not what they know. I too remember Adobe Illustrator 88 and getting phone support where the person clearly knew the app inside and out and was a professional. They use monkeys for this now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is truly sad and pathetic about Adobe these days is that they don't care at all about testing their software and try to pass off bugs as features. Gone are the days when software developers cared because it impacted sales. They have us on subscription now, do not care one bit. Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry that your experience is so bad.  My experience with Adobe support is much better.  If I were one of the Adobe support technicians, I am not sure I would be going out of my way to help a customer who thought I was a monkey.  I do think they have a problem triaging the support requests, many of which are likely resolved by consulting a cheat sheet.  Some of the request are over the head of the front line consultants.  It sounds like you have another issue than this annoying business with saving not resulting in writing over the original file when you tell Photoshop to replace.  I worked for 35 years as a software engineer and discovered that users cannot tell the difference between a 5 minute fix and 5 man-year enhancement.  Part of their problem is the upgrade by Apple to Catalina.  I am sure that Apple provided Adobe with a pre-release of Catalina.  I am equally sure that the version Apple released was not the same as the pre-release that they provided to Adobe.  I am scheduled today for a call from Adobe Tech support for an issue with Bridge.  Good luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You, Leslie!  Now it works as it always had.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here--I have to edit files in Photoshop while working in Lightroom and by golly, it always saves as a copy even though it indicates it is overwriting the original jpg, so I have to manually go back, find the original file, drop it into the trash, take off copy from the new jpg, go back to Lightroom and flip around a few times before it accepts the new jpg. VERY time-consuming. I have to take reflections off glasses and I dread it each time. 

It only started doing this to me with 21.0.2 in Catalina. It seems like every time they fix something they break something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working / fixed.  Running macOS Catalina 10.15.2 and Photoshop 21.0.2.  Tested this on a '19 MacBook Pro and '13 Mac Pro.  Both behave the same.  Decided to find a fix today, but no joy... found this thread instead.

I fail to understand how this is an Apple issue.  If this was something to do with file duplication at Apple OS level, then I should see same / similar behavior in other applications as well, right?  Adding "copy" to file name is only happening in Photoshop...

I think this bug coincided with a splash screen in Adobe cloud manager or Photoshop about getting X amount of cloud space from Adobe in relation to the Adobe cloud account (that was bundled in with Photoshop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I REALLY hope they fix this soon... it slows down my workflow and on tight deadlines, I, and other creators can't afford it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe it's an Apple issue at all. Flattening the file, then saving as a copy overwrites as it should. This is a Photoshop bug, or a UX oversight. It's very easy to slip up and forget to undo or revert flattening the file, resulting in further additional steps to restore the file (hello Time Machine!). I would hope this would be realized and "fixed" (if not a bug and done purposely).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that does not work.  I can open an existing JPEG and tell it to overwrite JPEG and Photoshop it does not.  Instead it's this stupid copy-thing...  And, my images are already just one layer (the background layer), thus no layers to merge nor flatten.  Those options are grayed anyways.... well... because there is nothing to merge or flatten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Posting to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started experiencing the same issue. Ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here also 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution does not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this issue, this is infuriating and makes the existing 'save as a copy' 'functionality' (read: hinderance) 10x more annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon.  As suggested, I changed the read and write permissions, worked for a day and now it is again saving copy and not saving over existing jpg.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe online tech support is literally the worst.  don't waste your time.  It's a third-party outside the US.  very entry-level support.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally just got this solved. I had to Chat with Adobe support here:  https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html (there should be a speech bubble you can click in lower right-hand corner). I asked for "Troubleshoot a Product Issue" .... and I was eventually connected with the correct person. They screenshared my screen and solved the problem. It was a matter of choosing the correct permissions (see Leslie's post earlier)... but it was much more complicated than she explained, so sadly I don't think I would've been able to correct on my own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Elizabeth.  Gave it a try and it seems to be working, so we'll see if the fix "sticks".  For others, this is the system Library folder:

System/Library/Application Support/Adobe

The Library folder may be hidden, a quick Google and that's easy to unhide.  Applied the change to the "Adobe" folder (adding me as a user with read/write permissions), and then going to the small gear icon (lower right) and applying those permissions to all enclosed folders.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, worked for a day and even though the permissions have remained, the save quit working again.  so frustrating!  good luck tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth, Did Adobe say that they are working to fix this?  

Votes

Translate

Translate