• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Zooms out while trying to subtract from current selection

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

option+command+clicking the layer used to subtract those pixels from your selection, however, it appears this shortcut has been updated with "zoom to layer". It still subtracts those pixels, but zooms out every time, which really interrupts my workflow. 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020
This should be fixed in 21.1 update that went out last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate
45 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Lisa,

Using a tablet, right?  Which brand?  Have you tried without the tablet?

Just a hunch...  

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Yes using a wacom tablet. I exclusively work with a pen and tablet, and don't have a mouse I can test with (at least not a non-wacom mouse).

However, some other folks on the adobe community page alerted me that this was a bug, so I assume it does the same with a mouse. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Lisa,

This being a bug is news to me.  And I'm the shortcut guy!  =8^O

I just tried it with a mouse and it works fine.  Heck, I TRIED to break it and it just worked.  It's gotta your Wacom.  I'd bet dollars-to-donuts that your tablet is also sending additional, spurious commands to the app.  It would hardly be the first time...

I wish I had happier news for you,
Sorry,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using an iMac and a mouse and can confirm that it is as Lisa describes. Make a selection, then Cmd+Opt+Click a layer thumbnail and PS subtracts from the selection as it should, but also zooms which it shouldn't. This new annoying behavior was introduced with PS 2020.

I am on High Sierra with 21.0.1

This help file says what PS should do with Cmd+Opt+Click:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/load-selections-layer-mask-boundaries.html

Jane Edwards
ACP, ACI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know, David - sorry you weren't able to recreate this. Must be different circumstances between us. 
Jane - Thank you for confirming that it does the same thing with a mouse! I guess it's not my tablet..Certainly hope this is fixed soon.
I forgot to include my OS - I am on Mac Catalina 10.15.1, and have the latest photoshop CC 2020 update installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jane and Lisa,

I'm sorry!  I sit corrected.  Yeah, there IS a bug on High Sierra (but NOT Catalina) with this.  Okay, wow.  Sorry about that.

I've gone ahead and logged a bug.  I'll raise the priority and note that it's already hit at least two users -- if others want this fixed, voicing a concern on these forums DOES help increase the priority of engineering efforts...

Thanks and, once again, sorry for the mix up,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for logging the bug, David! 

And thanks again, Jane! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug also affects photoshop 2020 21.0.1 running on windows 10 x64 1909.

Not using a tablet just a pain old mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also occurring for me. ITs highly annoying. I can't stand all these updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue. 

Photoshop 21.0.2
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1

I am using a Cintiq, but the behavior is the same as what the OP describes whether I click on the layer thumbnail with the pen or mouse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s a new feature that alt click zooms to layer, but I’m not sure you can turn it off??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it with both mouse and tablet, and any use of the option key in making a selection from the layer palette triggers a brain-stabbing and disruptive zoom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems lots of unwanted zoom comments were merged into another chat which they officially declared solved.  However the unwanted zoom still is triggered for me when trying to subtract a selection in the layer palette.  It is so annoying to me that I will continue to use PS 2019 until it is fixed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The seizure inducing zoom *feature* bug persists in 21.0.2 whenever the option key is used to make a selection from the layer palette, and happens with both tablet and apple mouse. I am running Mojave 10.14.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this issue with 21.0.2 on Mojave 10.14.6 with a Wacom Cintiq and a Logitech mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !

I usually use the shortcuts in Layer Panel :
Ctrl as Select All
Ctrl + Shift as Add selection (+)
Ctrl + Alt as Substract selection (-)
Ctrl + Alt + Shift as Xor selection (x)

And the shortcuts with Alt are Zooming to Content (new feature)..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !

I usually use the shortcuts in "Layers" panel :
Ctrl as Select All
Ctrl + Shift as Add selection (+)
Ctrl + Alt as Substract selection (-)
Ctrl + Alt + Shift as Xor selection (x)

And the shortcuts with Alt are using "Zooming to Content" (new feature). Two shortcuts are impacted, and it has not to be, or maybe we have enable/disable this in preferences.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to the other comments at least this bug makes sense to me now. In case anyone else is searching for a fix to this problem like I was:

There is a new feature where Option (Mac OS) + clicking on a layer thumbnails causes the content of the layer to zoom so it fills the active window. 

Option + Command + click on a layer thumbnail should result in the contents of that layer being subtracted from the current selection. 

Instead, Option + Command + click on a layer thumbnail causes both actions to occur. 

Same is true for Shift + Option + Command + click (intersect selections).

Hopefully this bug will be addressed in the the next update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can this be turned off this annoying new feature? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have an image of a house on a separate layer, cutout from the background. In front of the house I then have a cutout image of a palm tree on yet another separate layer.
So - 3 layers: 1.Background, 2. house and 3. palm tree.

Lets say that I now want to paint the house blue and still have the palm tree in front of the house in its original colour.

So this is what I do:
1. I make a selection of the house by selecting the layer with the house (so now I have marching ants around the house selection).

2. To subtract the palm tree from this selection I now hold down the Ctrl + Alt keys (on my PC) and click on the small thumbnail image pertaining to the layer with the palm tree...

And this is where it all goes wrong (intermittently 50/50%) - it subtracts the palm tree from the selection as it should - but 50% of the time the view will zoom in on a completely irrelevant area of the image, right down to giant pixels showing - while at the other 50% of the time, it will zoom right down on the palm tree. (Which is actually really annoying too!! - because I have no intention of working on the palm tree. And I am told by Adobe that this stupid auto zooming cannot be switched off in version 2020).

Because of this "...zooming in on a completely irrelevant area of the image, right down to giant pixels showing" I have now had to revert back to Photoshop version 2019 to be able to do my work.

PLEASE Adobe - make version 2020 a functional version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI David, This is not the same issue. Why has my problem being merged to this conversation? 'how to turn off 'fit on screen zoom' in the thumbnail layer with command click on the layer. Using mac in photoshop 2020?'. Not very helpful. Is there a way of turning this feature off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ian Nelson, Although it's a nuisance, be aware that you can right/ control click on the layers and select from the drop down one of the options to add, subtract or intersect from the selection. Personally, I never remember to do this and click expecting the old functionality, and get the resulting wildly annoying and workflow disturbing change in zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zoom to layer content
Can i turn this new feature off? Its killing me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Alt+click to collapse/expand layer Effects globally, so definitely "Zoom to Layer Content" should be on/off feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue since Monday for some reason. Really horrible hit to my workflow, and Adobe Support has been terrible all morning, asking tons of unrelated questions, have un/reinstalled, reset preferences several times, and the issue PERSISTS. Here is my copy/paste post on one of the support forums, where for whatever reason, devs don't participate.

Traditionally, you ctl+left click on a layer thumbnail to make a [marching ants] selection in the Document window. To add to the [marching ants] selection, say other layers you want to have marching ants to, you hold ctl+shift+left click on those layer thumbnails. So far, so good, right? Those work fine still. HOWEVER: If you want to either use a layer thumbnail to intersect with or subtract from the [marching ants] selection: Say you have a leather jacket on a layer, and above it you have a layer for buttons on the jacket. You want to tint the jacket but not the buttons, on a non-destructive layer that you want placed above all layers. You ctl+left click the jacket layer icon in the layer panel, which results in a marching ants selection. Now you want to remove the buttons from that [marching ants] selection. Traditionally (and we're talking decades, literally, of using Photoshop here- I've been a game dev for 24 years, so believe me when I say this is a new problem) you ctl+alt+left click the THUMBNAIL of the layer in the layer panel. The good news? It still MOSTLY seems to subtract from the [marching ants] selection as intended, but it ZOOMS INTO THE LAYER. This is very jarring, and really wrecks a workflow. Is this making sense? If not, I'll actually construct a GIF so it's finally clear. Nobody in support seems to be getting this, and it's super bizarre that it's getting overlooked so completely. It's also bizarre that so many are griping about it and the devs are parading solutions to a completely unrelated issue. I finally found a workaround, where, after I select a layer, I then right-click a layer thumbnail and choose Add/Subtract/Intersect Transparency Mask.

Can devs PRETTY PLEASE make it so we can disable this alt click to zoom in? It's CRAZY annoying and is destroying workflows!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate