Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS Prefs reset issues

Engaged ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 Questions:

1. I just got that odd bug where a selection area can't be moved with the lasso tool, which is now "stuck" in Deselect mode. Normally click & drag the selection (with lasso) will move the selection area (no modifier keys needed). Restart did not resolve. I had similar issues in another studio, and the Chrome browser turned out to be the cause of many "bug" issues. I now have Chrome on my Mac, but it's not runnng currently. Just asking if others have simiar issues.  I know the standard fix for this is PS Prefs Reset, which brings me to Question #2...

2. I know too well that the typical "fix" for bug related issues is PS Prefs reset. The important question is this: Is there still so "soft" reset for PS Prefs? There are so many random settings that get lost after Prefs reset, it is an annoying procedure that is called for too often. Is there not an option to reset PS Prefs without losing so many custom settings? I.E.: Disabling "Delete Cropped Pixels" for Crop Tool is an EXTREMELY important function that reverts to default with Prefs Reset. That & so many more tiny details have to be manually restored after prefs reset, it is an extremely inefficient procedure.

If Prefs have become "corrupted",  is it not possible to preserve existing custom settings like "Cropped Pixels? mentioned above?

Thanks

PS 24.5, Monterey 12.6.5, Mac Pro Late 2013

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can reset tools, if you have specific problems with e.g. the lasso tool as you describe here.

tools.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that Tool Reset the same as PS Prefs Reset?

I was always told that Prefs Reset was the only effective tool for odd behaviors/corruption, etc that were not just user generated.

Either way, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a reset, but limited to the tool(s). Your other preferences remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue is that Preferences contain both the user settings and hidden internal settings that are written every time Photoshop closes. Corruption could be in either user settings or those hidden settings or a combination of both. Resetting a tool is always worth a try but does nothing for those hidden settings. Resetting Preferences is more akin to a 'Factory Reset'.

You can of course back up your preferences which are held in these folders:

macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Windows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

That way, if a preference reset does not resolve the issue then you can restore them quickly.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines