• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document" When opening a .PSD

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to continue work on something I was working on yesterday and when attempting to open the .PSD file, I am greeted by the error: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

I have had a look for any others whove experienced the same bug with little luck.

Anything helps, Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is either a corrupt file, or a file of another file type saved with an incorrect file extension (an example would be a TIFF with a PSD file extension)

Did you save to a local drive within your computer, an external drive or a network drive? If it was a network drive, try copying it to a local drive first, then opening it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that Bridge could read mistyped filenamed files as long as the original file format was one readable by Bridge. So for example, I have a PDF, I rename it as a .psd, then Bridge can still show me the thumbnail. That gives a first clue of what has happened. If Bridge cannot show the thumbnail, then it's more likely a corrupted file.
Now to discover which file format it has to be renamed to, in the case of the former, then the thumbnail might show a clue (a what is clearly a vector document etc...)...
Of course this is no help for the OP 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Aiden28788089bss1 sorry to hear this.

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually 

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

By @Aiden28788089bss1

macOS has an app called Preview that can test to see if the issue is simply the wrong file extension. The way it works is you remove the extension and open it it Preview. When you save, Preview adds the correct extension. If you can share your file using Creative Cloud, Dropbox, etc., I'd be happy to take a look for you.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Aiden28788089bss1 also where are the files saved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are saved on a local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open the file with a text editor, such as Windows notepad?

Right click on the file and choose Open With > Choose another app > NotePad > Just Once.  It may take a short while to open.

If it is a PSD, in notepad it should start 8BPS 

If it is a TIFF, in notepad it should start II or MM

A jpeg will start ÿØÿá

A PNG will start ‰PNG

If yours is different to 8BPS then change the file extension from PSD to the appropriate extension

Warning - View the file but don't save the file using notepad !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing appeared when opening with Notepad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In that case your file is corrupt

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines