Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing image does not work properly

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody!

I have a strange problem I have a document in photoshop that is 400 x 600 pixels.

Now I dragged in a picture that is 114 x 1140 pixels but for some reason it does not resize all the way even though this picture is bigger than the document size (see picture below).

2 copy.jpg

I check the Preferences-General-Resize Image During Place but for some reason it does not work the way I would like to see it.

If anybody knows what might work I would super happy!

Kind regards,

Lorenzo

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*the image size is 1140 x 1140 pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Resize During Place" just limits oversized images from extending beyond the master document edges. It should be called "limit oversized", not "resize", because it doesn't.

A smart object is a hybrid construction that honors physical print dimensions, not pixel dimensions. It works this way for compatibility with vector data.

For direct pixel consistency, make sure ppi numbers are the same. Or just copy/paste.

Any particular reason you're doing it this elaborate way with placing a smart object, instead of just opening the image directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You already have good reply. I want to add that you can try with Preference reset https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html - manual method recommended to drag folder on Desktop then back where it was if reset does not help - if some of the functions does not work as it use to. I am testing on my side and Resize during place works as expected.

Another thing to try to fix is to Select All then Image > Crop to ensure that canvas size is matching visible or image area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for taking the time to look for the right answers and options.

I need to do this with a batch of pictures haha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, but again, you're just placing this image on a blank background. It would be much simpler to just...open the image, done.

I'm making a point of this because many people coming from, say, video, are used to first "starting a project" and then putting clips and content into it. And then they continue this habit in Photoshop.

But Photoshop doesn't work that way. An image file is the project. You just open files directly. And then you can resize and do whatever you want with it, and save it again.

Yes, you can place smart objects, but that's generally intended for complex files with a complex workflow. It's way overkill for this. Unless you have further plans for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines