• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very frustrating image import issue - please help

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded several hi-res images, most of which are 4256 x 2832 and when I pull those images into photoshop, they appear pixelated and of horrible resolution, even though when I open them in a simple image viewer they look great. 

I've been scouring other forums and using some of the other suggestions seen, but I cannot figure this out. I've tried...

- Uninstalling/reinstalling

- Deleting user preferences

- Changing Image Interpolations

- Clicking on/off "Resize Image During Place"

I am at a total loss here and I cannot use photoshop for an urgent project I have. This is really frustrating. If anyone has real suggestions, please let me know. I know the question will come up of showing pictures of this, but I cannot show them due to the privacy of the project I am working on. Like I said, the hi-res image is appearing pixelated and of very poor quality when dragged into photoshop.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you resized the dimensions in Photoshop  (for example small then large and not used Smart Objects) – what are the dimensions in pixels (Image > Image Size) of the image as present?

You state Pulled them into Photoshop did you download the images to your computer and then use (for example)

File > Open? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, which version of Photoshop and OS and how much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Are you able to open other images successfully in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import the image into photoshop it is not a Smart Object becuase I just downloaded it off the web. If I try to re-size to smaller or larger using the Image Size tool, it only makes the image even worse. The problem is its coming into photoshop worse than it should be. The image size is 4256 x 2832 like mentioned before.

I'm using the latest 2023 version of Photoshop, and tried older versions but this keeps happening. 

I have a lot of disk space and I purge my memory constantly. 128 GB available. Working on an iMac Pro 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set View > 100%, take a screenshot and post it here.

100% represents one image pixel by exactly one screen pixel. It's the only way to see the pixel structure accurately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What @Derek Cross was referring to was the Image Size in Photoshop>Image>Image Size menu, not the original size you are dragging in.

Post a screen shot of that dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 1.40.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the dimensions, you've reduced the size by a lot, when you enlarge that image it will appear pixilated. 

Are you using the image for printing or for use onscreen say for example for  the web?

(Use Smart Objects when changing the size of images to protect their resolution.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the downloaded file from the internet or the Photoshop file you are dragging into?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not 4256 pixels, its a quarter of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's downloaded from the internet, original size is 4256 x 2832. When I bring it into photoshop it is saying its small. I did not scale the image at all before or after it was brought into photoshop. This is so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When at look at the info panel for the image in question, it is showing the correct size. See below...

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 3.23.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image > Image size indicates the correct dimensions of 816 x 1110px – much smaller than you've stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek is right. Image Size never lies.

The info panel just shows you the size of a transform box, crop tool setting or marquee. It does not show image size.

crop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not have resized it but your settings in Photoshop may automatically be upsizing it to fit your canvas when placing.

Try unchecking this setting in your Photoshop General Prefences and try again.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1672869311623.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated in my original post, I already checked off the "Re-size Image During Place" option and that isn't working. Also, when I test other images of various sizes in the Image Size module....they all same that same size (816 x 1110). The canvas size also happens to be these same dimensions as well...

Still at a loss here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what you've downloaded - 816 x 1110px images. Nothing to be at a loss for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....what I am saying is no matter what image I pull into photoshop it is saying it is 816 x 1110 no matter what the actual size is. Yes, I am still at a loss here. Not every image I have on my computer is 816 x 1110 and the "Resize Image During Place" is off....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open up Bridge and take a look at those images. And quit using Place or Import. Just open your image by clicking and then either copy/paste or drag the layer onto the master image (this is what I do for composites.) sizing can be tricky when you start placing things and your resolutions don't match or whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been re-reading the thread, and you keep saying "pulled into" Photoshop, "dragged into", etc. I'm almost 100% certain this is your problem.

Don't do that! Just open the file in the proper way. If they are downloaded from the internet, save the file from the browser, then open it in Photoshop.

Dragging is a bad habit! You never know what you get, especially from web browsers. You will usually get a preview or "proxy" image, but not the original file.

Another thing with dragging is that you may get smart objects that resize without even telling you, because the ppi number may be different from the base document you're dragging into. "Resize during Place" just means that oversized images are scaled down to fit the base document. It does not prevent a smart object honoring physical print dimensions over pixel dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly - that's why I mentioned it in my first response. The OP doesn't seem to be exploring these points!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So you did, Derek. But some of us need to be told things three times before we accept it 😉 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines