Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2019 MacPro with 2 x AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32 GB

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm on a 2019 MacPro running 2 x AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32 GB GPUs. For some reason, when I'm running both modules, Photoshop doesn't allow me to access the Graphics Processor Settings. I'm also noticing a significant performance decrease and whenever I click out of PS the canvas turns grey.

When I remove the second module and just run a single AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32 GB, everything runs fine and I'm able to access the GPU settings.

I've contacted Adobe, Apple and AMD and haven't found a solution yet.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Hello everyone, I had a solution, try to reconnect maint monitor where is your photoshop usually stay to another gpu, and that option appears to me! Sounds crazy but it helped for me!

best,

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have to disable one, if not by removing it than in software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing about modern GPU processing is that it's not a simple one way flow, like it used to be.

Photoshop uses the GPU to perform actual data processing, and the result returned to Photoshop for further processing. It goes back and forth.

So you can see multi GPUs leading to confusion. Which one is receiving data, and which one returning it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your reply.

I understand where the confusion would come into play with PS trying to figure out which GPU to communicate with.

So when running two GPUs on MacOS, PS greys out the "Graphics Processor Settings" in preferences>performance. Does this indicate that PS doesn't recognize any GPUs at all or is that just confirming the communication issue between PS and the multiple GPUs? I'm asking because I also have a Windows machine with 2 Nvidia GPUs and PS doesn't grey out those preference settings. I find it odd that this only happens on MacOS.

Again, when running a single GPU on MacOS, that setting is available and everything runs perfectly fine.

Thanks again for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? having the same issue ((

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I haven't figured this out. I've been in contact with Apple, Adobe and AMD and they just keep pointing the finger at one another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I need the "Use Graphics Processor" option enabeled in order to edit spherical panoramas. What is the solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a year of dealing with this, the only solution I've found is to remove the second GPU module in order to get AI and PS to work correctly. Adobe, Apple and AMD have had nothing to offer in terms of an actual solution.

-az

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks for that! Huge bummer to lose a $5200 graphics card to fix a
program bug. I did see on another forum (and confirmed that it works) that
PS 2020 (Release12.2.7) works with both cards installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I had a solution, try to reconnect maint monitor where is your photoshop usually stay to another gpu, and that option appears to me! Sounds crazy but it helped for me!

best,

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks kined! That totally worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! THANK YOU, KINED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue with my MacPro Radeon VegaII Duo. I don't understand your solution exactly…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh resolved! you're a genious

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was spending hours of testing – omg. Best solution ever 🙂 Replug the Monitor. Now it is working. Thank you so much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found another way if it doesn't work with the monitor reconnection and Photoshop still denies GPU support:

Check if your Brush gets the red dot if you change the size, if and you only see an outline then:

1. disable GPU support under performance.
2. set the cache level to 6
3. disable native desktop under technology preview.
4. restart Photoshop

5. now enable GPU support again and set the cache stur back to 4 and enable native workspace under technology preview again click ok and restart Photoshop.

check now if you see the red dot while you change your brush size. It should work now.

This helped me when it didn't work with the monitor trick. I have 2 MPX modules (so then 4 Vega GPUs) and unfortunately Photoshop is always confused. Perhaps an option should be added in Photoshop that allows a specific GPU to be used for Photoshop. Since the automatic capture does not work 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a variety of a much more common problem: dual GPUs in laptops. That also chokes Photoshop.

So this is a well known and very frequently reported problem. You'd think it should be a straightforward thing to tell Photoshop to use a specific GPU and ignore the others, but if it was, it would have been implemented long ago. So apparently it's not possible. Maybe the necessary APIs simply don't exist, whether in MacOS or Windows.

Adobe's official advice is to disable one GPU in computer management. That's workable with a laptop, but maybe not in your case.

Also, Apple is a somewhat "special case", because the driver is integrated into the OS, it's not a separate component. Normally, dual GPUs should work as long as they're run off the same identical driver. But who knows what happens under the covers in MacOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your opinion on this.

I'll note that other software manufacturers also manage to make it work easily. And I can't disable a graphics card on the Mac Pro Mac OS  like I can in Windows. It does not work. I can remove it. But why should I do that with a 4000 Euro graphics card? Indesign and Illustrator manage to pick a gpu and work. Only Photoshop ticks around. If it is really so difficult to install the function, Photoshop is not a professional tool but rather a chip shop around the corner. In any case, it once again does not work with the gpu support and I now do my work with affinity Photo. That works directly.
But I still can't accept that I paid for the subscription, have a pro work machine and use pro software and it doesn't work properly. This is simply not acceptable. It just upsets me. For example redshift render is able to manual select and deselect gpus in my system. 
do take it Personal it is mean to adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually wanted to write, please do not take it personally. It should apply to adobe. I know it's only a community forum now, but the old one has been closed.
Anyway, today it works again with the GPU support. It's really annoying to use something so unreliable. Who knows what tomorrow is? So if it would be possible, Adobe, please add an option for GPU selection if there a more than one GPU. Also the 2022 Mac Pro will probably have multiple GPUs. But that as multiple M1 variants. This is of course only a guess, but the problem will remain if apple still makes it modular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I absolutely hear what you're saying, and I agree. This shouldn't be a problem.

I'm merely pointing out that since it still is, it can't be as simple as we think. Adobe are fully aware of it and have been for a long time, and their engineers are not stupid. If it was easily fixable, they'd have done it long ago.

It wouldn't be the first time that Photoshop required special operating system support that most other applications didn't (4K anyone?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines