• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

24.5.0: Quick Mask Mode ability to make a gradient selection?

Explorer ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to do something in the newest Photoshop (24.5.0) that I have done for many years with PS: making a quick gradient selection with the gradient tool in Quick Mask mode. Now when I try the same, it creates a black to white gradient as if I wasn't in Quick Mask Mode, but adds this to a new layer. In the past, Quick Mask Mode shows the red mask and then toggling the Quick Mask button off makes it a selection. Simple. Seems something was fixed that wasn't broken. Any ideas how to get this option back with the new version? (Or how to return to the previous version?) 

I am using a MacBook Pro (Apple M1) with OS Ventura 13.4.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

With the Gradient Tool selected enable Classic Gradient in the tool options bar before using in the Quick Mask Mode.

cgrd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Hello @Prof. Jenkins we are working toward a fix for this issue. Please look for it with the June update of Photoshop. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Gradient Tool selected enable Classic Gradient in the tool options bar before using in the Quick Mask Mode.

cgrd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jeff. Just what I (and likely other users) needed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto!   Thanks very much, Jeff!  I was having the exact same issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working for me. Classic mode does nothing. I also still see the Blue Share button, despite that supposedly being fixed in 24.5 like the screenshot above. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled, same thing. Why engineers always touching things that aren't broken? Adjustment palette the same for 30 years, and now they choose to change it. And I still want Shake Reduction back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the Share Button, in photoshop go to Edit>Preferences>Interface and

check Neutral Color Mode (Photoshop>Settings (Preferences)>Interface on the Mac side)

sb.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for pointing out where to find that preference change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Jeff Arola , I too am experiencing this issue and can't create a gradient select as I did in the past.  Setting the top right dropdown to 'Classic gradient' (from 'Gradient') doesn't appear to work.  I can't seem to make any impact with this tool.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alexa28,

You want to set Classic Gradient on the on the left hand side of the tool options bar.

clgrd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies @Jeff Arola, that was a typo... I meant top left, not right.
When I applied this change, I went from creating a layer of solid gradient to effecting no change.  i.e. changing from 'Gradient' to 'Classic gradient' did not create a gradient selection. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I'm using a MacBook Pro M2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot including the image, tool options bar and layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the screen shot. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the tool options bar set the Mode to Normal.

mod.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doh!  
Thank you so much for your help Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Prof. Jenkins  thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'd like to understand a bit more of the steps in your workflow. Could you let me know what is it that you are trying to achieve and the steps taken? 

If you can share a screen capture of your image and layers it would be very helpful. 

Thanks! Claudia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Claudia ... the answer and screenshot that Jeff Arola supplied first with my question was the fix. What he showed with that solution is what I was used to doing with the Quick Mask Mode and Gradient Tool. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, this did not work for me at all.. Windows 11, Photoshop 24.5.0. My Gradient Tool, was/is set to Classic, and it still creates a Vector Layer, not a Gradient on Quick Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to be sure the Gradient Tool is set to Classic Gradient on the left hand side of the tool options bar.

The Classic on the right hand side of the tool options bar refers to the older gradient Method (interpolation) versus the new gradient Methods: Perceptual and Linear.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/gradient-interpolation.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/gradients.html

clgrd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @The Art of Retouching would it be possible to see a video of the issue. When the tool is set to Classic gradient it should allow you to draw on a gradient on a unlocked pixel layer without creating additional layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it (classic gradient)! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Prof. Jenkins we are working toward a fix for this issue. Please look for it with the June update of Photoshop. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines