• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D discontinued, what's next?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the 3D feature a lot in photoshop, it's one of the reasons why I pay for this subscription but I see your discontinuing this much loved and used feature.

I was wondering as you are removing this feature to repackage it and sell it at additional cost will you be doing this to other photoshop tools?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is in large parts a user-Forum and, quite frankly, I doubt any Adobe employee would be allowed to dignify such a post with a relevant answer, future releases are subject to confidentiality after all. 

And unless you package your underlying complaint (the validity of which I am not disputing) as a Feature Request or Bug Reports I am not sure it will be registered by Adobe. 

Photoshop’s history offers a few examples of stuff that was offered for a while and later deprecated. 

Image Ready, Pixel Bender and Configurator come to mind. 

If I remember correctly the last two were Adobe Labs offerings and never part of the default feature set, so the comparison is not perfect. 

Photoshop has accumulated some features that could never seriously be expected be as good as comparable features in programs dedicated to the specific fields (animation and 3D come to mind) so, while losing a tool that was plenty good enough for one’s own purposes is certainly frustrating, trimming some bloat might do the application good in the long run. 

One can at least hope so … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davidw81082491 wrote:

I was wondering as you are removing this feature to repackage it and sell it at additional cost will you be doing this to other photoshop tools?

As volunteers we cannot tell you what Adobe will do in the future, but that's not what happened here. Operating systems and hardware have changed since Adobe first added 3D to Photoshop and PS 3D will not work in modern operating systems.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

This link also tells you what to do short-term and long-term. Photoshop version 22.2 is available on Creative Cloud now, but won't be forever. Use 22.2 for 3D. You can have multiple versions of Photoshop installed. Turn off auto-updates in the CC app and be sure to choose to keep old installations when you install a new version.

Other choices for 3D include Adobe Dimension, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Substance, and Blender. Dimension and Illustrator are part of Creative Cloud. Substance is not and has an extra fee. Blender is not part of Adobe and is free.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if video editing will be next to go? Especially as there was remarkably little fuss over the 3D removal. Adobe seem very content to not have video editing in the macOS M1 native Photoshop... and they have video editors to sell..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Personally I would be happy to lose some bloat if that meant that the core image editing features functioned perfectly with modern images - so 16 bit bit editing throughout including filters, accurate previews at all zoom levels......etc

I do understand the concerns when features are dropped though, particularly when that affects the ability to edit existing files.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines