Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

3D extrusion discontinuation

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On occasion, if I want to bring a logo or other similar flat 2D image into Dimension, I open it up in Photoshop, do whatever edits need to be done, extrude it to 3D, and export it for Dimension.

Apparently this functionality is going to be removed soon? As far as I'm aware, there's no way to import a 2D vector or image into Dimension... This was the only real way to achieve this within the CC suite.

Am I missing something? Another workflow to achieve this? Or is this just Adobe breaking the workflow so I'm forced to pay another $50 a month for Substance 3D?

It's frustrating because I only need to work with Dimension on occasion... I'm not going to pay $600 more a year to work on the handful of projects that need it.

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It hasn't been removed yet, so you are in the clear. However uncheck "remove previous versions when you upgrade. You will be able to use those previous versions if and when the ax drops.

May be a while. After all, Legacy Save for Web is still there.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vitamanic wrote:

Apparently this functionality is going to be removed soon?

Am I missing something? Another workflow to achieve this?

Yes, 3D features are being discontinued in Photoshop. Many do not work correctly due to changes in modern operating systems.

Adobe recommends that you download Photoshop version 22.2 if you need to use 3D. You can have multiple versions running. See this help page for details:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

As gener7 said, turn off automatic updates now. When you do update, do not remove older versions from the update dialog.

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know it won't help much (I am in the same boat as you) but I have had more luck extruding objects using illustrator (let's say they ported the basic 3D functionnalities from Photoshop to illustrator)

Inflation, extrusion, revolution are all available now in illustrator.

Imaginerie_0-1668506881817.png

You can also raytrace your objects there or more importantly, export as .obj, to be imported in Dimension. I can vouch it works a charm.

The only thing is that very complex objects will be hard to create, but neither illustrator nor photoshop include a proper modeler, so it has to be expected.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines