Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D Functions

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, how are you?

I've just read the news regarding the 3D functions that Photoshop has discontinued. I currently work creating mockups that use 3D objects (.obj) in order to interpretate the product's distortion that I design.

As I downloaded the last upgrade (22.5), I had to activate "Deactivate native canvas" from my preferences, so that my mockups could work back again properly. My doubt, and naturally also my highest concern, is wether this function will continue to be available in future upgrades or not, since I use this in my everyday work.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is primarily a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

Quote from 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-5.html#other-enhancements

»For technical reasons, Photoshop’s 3D feature set will not reliably work in modern operating systems, and as of Photoshop 22.5, we are beginning the process of removing those features.«

Quotes from 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

»Currently, we don't have any concrete plans to introduce advanced 3D features back in Photoshop.«

»The Substance line of 3D products offer state-of-the-art 3D creation tools, and Photoshop’s image processing, compositing and layer-based documents and interface make it the ideal tool for compositing content from other Adobe applications.

We encourage anyone interested in 3D to check out Adobe's exciting line of Substance products:«

To me that sounds like one should not expect a reintroduction of (edit: relevant) 3D features in Photoshop anytime soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

To me the key words relevant to your question are :

"...........the time has come to retire Photoshop’s legacy 3D feature set........."

"For a short time, a Technology Preview preference can be used to emulate the last known working state for 3D features."

So, I would keep an old PS version around to open and work on any existing files, but look to move to a new method for new files. Even keeping an old version will not last forever as operating systems and hardware are updated.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have not tested this but I would suspect that, unless the files with 3D content were saved with maximized compatibility, there might even be problems opening them in the future. 

So keeping an »old« Photoshop version available seems to be excellent advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines