• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4K Screen set at 150% in Windows - cannot use menus and lassoo tool / selection tools are off from t

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a 4k Monitor, set in Windows display settings to scale at 150%:

iwatts_0-1630247700123.png

- this works fine in lightroom and other photo editing software, but not Photoshop. I have two specific problems (The UI looks great - no issues there)

1. When I try and use the menus at the top and click on one it activates the menu two to the left
  2. When I try and use the lassoo tool or brush tool it actually brushes/selects away from the cursor.

I have tried the two main solutions that people seem to suggest, which is right clicking the photoshop.exe and changing the DPI settings in there to use the system ones, and the other is using a manifest file. Neither of these suggestions seemed to work.

I have three monitors - my laptop (which is set to 125% scaling as recommended), my 4K monitor set to 150% as indicated above, and a HD monitor set to 100%. Photoshop only works correctly when I'm on the HD monitor, or when I change the scaling in Windows on the other monitors to 100%. However, then the UI is too small and I cannot see, and this effects all other applications as well which work fine.

Is there a solution that allows me to keep my windows scaling as it is but allows me to use Photoshop on my 4K monitor as I would like. Most of the issues on here to do with 4K monitors seem to be fairly old - I suspect it is to do with my Windows scaling and it may be a Windows issue as opposed to an Adobe one, but it is only Photoshop that it effects.

Any help would be gratefully received, and apologies if I am missing something simple.

Many Thanks

Ian

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Well after two weeks on chat with Adobe technical support I finally got to chat with an excellent Senior technician last night who has acknowledged this is a bug between Lightroom and Photoshop that happens in relatively unique situations. Nothing to do with the multiple monitor set up as it happens when the laptop is operating by itself. It has been referred to the Dev Team but if anyone else happens to come across this, until there is a fix, the workaround is to open Photoshop first, then Ligh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I am on the latest version of Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only use the 4K monitor alone at 150% does with work correctly? Trying to ascertain whether it's simply scaling at 150% on a 4k monitor that is the problem, or the presence of the other monitors at other scalings in conjunction with the 4k that causes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - it's a laptop so difficult to try just the 4k monitor - however, disconnecting all other displays and just using the laptop scaled at 25% replicates exactly the same issue - so a single display scaled at anything other than 100% seems to be the cause of the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should say 125%, not 25% 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I'm on a Surface 4 and am scaled to 125% and am not seeing this problem. I think there's some other setting that causes this problem, but we haven't been able to figure out what it is. Can you screenshot your all your scaling settings from Windows? Might give us a clue what's different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aah so interesting - it only happens when I click to edit in Photoshop from Lightroom - If I open Photoshop directly there seems to be no issue - I wonder if something is wrong in my export settings in Lightroom (Though I am fairly sure I haven't changed themm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, you're coming from Lightroom Classic? or cloud-based Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - should have said - Lightroom Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still trying to repro. I've tried 125% scaling, quit Photoshop, launch LR Classic, and choose edit in Photoshop. Menus are fine. I'll keep playing around with it. If you figure out the secret sauce, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do see a bunch of 3rd party plug-ins mixed in with the required plug-ins in your system info. If you pull those out and relaunch PS does the problem persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a go tomorrow - thanks for the help - in the end if I have to alter me workflow slightly it's not a biggy. I'm a hobbyist not a pro. I'll try a few things and see what I can come up with. Cheers 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - so done a bit more playing with this (it really is very odd)

I've uninstalled all of the plugins and hasn't made a bit of difference - however, for testing I have left them uninstalled.

I tried setting up a custom export to Photoshop in lightroom with different settings and the problem persists, so it isn't them.

I have tried installing bridge and if I open photoshop from Bridge everything works fine (which does give me a workaround - I've set up an export from Lightroom to Bridge - I then open from Bridge and everything works fine on any of my monitors)

So it is only an issue when I open from Lightroom, but it doesn't seem to be the export settings in lightroom that are the problem, having played with them.

The next thing to try is to uninstall Photoshop and Lightroom and try again and see if that fixes the problem - I suppose it could be that the installation of a plugin changed something that uninstalling it didn't fix?

Cheers

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - problem fixed - I had to disable the Intel Graphics Adapter and just use the RTX 3080 for driving all my displays - everything is now sorted and works fine straight from Lightroom to Photoshop. Not sure if that is a bug or normal behaviour but I can't see the disabling of my Intel card causing many problems - the RTX 3080 should be capable of handling everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon - that now works on my laptop monitor (125%) but still not my 4K monitor (150%) - I'll keep playing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact forget it all - my laptop was set to 100%, not the 125% recommended - when I change that back it stops working, so back to square one.

I think unless anyone has any better solutions either publishing to a folder then opening in Photoshop separately or going through Bridge are going to be my best options for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. Thanks for the additional troubleshooting! What a strange bug. Thanks for the additional info. I'll ask some colleagues with multi-monitor, mulit-card setups to try and repro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well after two weeks on chat with Adobe technical support I finally got to chat with an excellent Senior technician last night who has acknowledged this is a bug between Lightroom and Photoshop that happens in relatively unique situations. Nothing to do with the multiple monitor set up as it happens when the laptop is operating by itself. It has been referred to the Dev Team but if anyone else happens to come across this, until there is a fix, the workaround is to open Photoshop first, then Lightroom, and then the Edit IN Photoshop 2021 (or 2022 - the bug is in the updated version) will work as normal. It is not a scaling issue and at least now I can get on with editing. Many Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there already a solution for this bug? I encounter the same problems when connecting my Dell Precision 5560 with 4K screen to my LG 27UN880-B 4K screen and also have this problem with a 1440p and a 1080p screen. When only using my laptop screen I don't have this problem. 
I'm running Windows 10 pro and the latest version of Photoshop (23.4.1) 

I have no Lightroom installed and I'm only having this issue with Photoshop, not with any other adobe CC program (AI, PR and AE all working perfect, with ID I have the problem that my mouse cursor is way too big but that's another story)

I really need a fix quickly as I'm using PS for professional work.

I've include some pictures to demonstrate the issue:

PXL_20220627_133324732.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-29 111722.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the sam problem and nothing I do seems to be able to change it. Going from Bridge to photoshop does not solve my problem. Lightroom and Bridge are fine. Its a photoshop bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines