• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

64,000 x 20,000 dividie slicing image horzontally and vertically locks up Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a huge 64,000 x 20,000 that I need to divide up into 2000 pixel slices.   When I select both horizontal and vertical to slice by pixel size, OS X Monterry newest verion of Photoshop on an 16" Macbook Pro M1 Pro with 16gb memory just starts spinning the beach ball of death for ever.

1. create the slice by selecting are the entire image the slice tool. 

2. right click, choose Divide

3.. Click either to Divide Horzontally or Vertically, it doesn't matter which one you choose first.

4. Select the  pixels per slice and enter 2000

5. Select the other option (Horozntally or vertically)

6. Choose pixels per slice and at this point the system ball starts spinning, even though the default value is 4000 and at the start, so not too many slices are being or would be rendered.

And the beach ball never stops.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

@Streetwalker Akkerman 

What happens if you turn preview off? No difference I'd guess, but worth a shot! You could also try just selecting half or a quarter of the doc and then slicing to reduce the overhead.

What are you intending to do with the slices? Slice is genearlly used for Save for Web which has an 8192 px horizontal or vertical size limit.

As I'm guessing that you are not really using the slice tool for the intended Save for Web (Legacy) purpose due to the large unsupported size

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Streetwalker Akkerman 

What happens if you turn preview off? No difference I'd guess, but worth a shot! You could also try just selecting half or a quarter of the doc and then slicing to reduce the overhead.

What are you intending to do with the slices? Slice is genearlly used for Save for Web which has an 8192 px horizontal or vertical size limit.

As I'm guessing that you are not really using the slice tool for the intended Save for Web (Legacy) purpose due to the large unsupported size of your file, the slices must just be a means to an unknown end...

There are alternatives to the slice tool in the form of scripts that can "chop up an image into tiles"...

Some other topics where this is discussed with various scripts:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/divide-my-image-to-layers/m-p/1246703...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Thank you so Much!  I did realize the 30k pixel limit for slicing.  I grabbed one of the scripts and it worked perfectly! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 8192 pixel limit is for output from Export/Save for Web (Legacy)... Which is the only "out of the box" thing that I can think of that uses slices.

Some custom scripts can use slices. I'm not aware of a slice 30k limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sorry, I was jumping ahead.  I think I was thinking of the limitation of PSD vs PSB.  I didn't realize that you could not slice up a PSB.  And I beleive the limit of PSD is 30,000 pixels (on a side, or square... not sure...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines