• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

700MB PSD file sizes??

Explorer ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is the first time i am noticing it but could have been an issue creeping up over time. I shoot the Sony A1 which outputs 40MB Raw files.  I then process RAW files in DXO which expands the file into a 140MB DNG.  When I process the DNG in Photoshop the resulting file sizes are then 700MB - camera raw colour corrections and 3 additional layers in most pictures.  

Why are the PSD files so large. 100 edited images is 70GB of space...and if someone can pinpoint when the files started becoming so huge and any fixes to reduce PSD file size I would appreciate it!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is normal and expected.

A raw file is a single channel at 14 bit depth (and possibly compressed at that). A PSD is three channels at 16 bit depth - plus layers and anything else you may add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition, depending on settings in Preferences - File Handling, PSDs can be compressed (smaller files but slower to save and reopen) or uncompressed (larger files but faster to save and reopen). They can also contain an additional flattened copy of the image, if maximise compatibility is checked, that increases file sizes but is needed by some other applications including Lightroom.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines