Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

8-bit exorbitantly slow when saving to disk

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

my cam (Sony 7R m2) delivers 42mpx. An exported 16bit TIFF for Photoshop editing is about 250MB. Saving this 16bit TIFF in Photoshop lasts about 5-10 seconds.

Now, when i save this as 8bit, saving lasts 5-10 minutes. The result is a file of about 40-50MB.

Why is that? I'd assume saving 8bit should be much faster.

Oh, i tried saving as 8bit png, but still same issue.

What am i missing?

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Make sure all compression is off. As mentioned, the impact on save times can be dramatic.

From those numbers, it sounds like compression is off with 16 bit, but on with 8 bit? LZW compression will in any case not work well with 16 bit data, if anything it will only make the file bigger.

All else being equal, a 16 bit file should be roughly 2x the size of an 8 bit file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use TIFF compression, that can increase save times. Obviously switching to fast NVMe SSD storage is much different than using an old, slow rotating hard drive. Computer speed, RAM, and scratch disk space are factors too.

I have a Canon 5Dsr (50MP files) and it definitely maxes out my 2015 iMac. I suspect that until I can update to an M1 Mac, there isn't much I can do to make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure all compression is off. As mentioned, the impact on save times can be dramatic.

From those numbers, it sounds like compression is off with 16 bit, but on with 8 bit? LZW compression will in any case not work well with 16 bit data, if anything it will only make the file bigger.

All else being equal, a 16 bit file should be roughly 2x the size of an 8 bit file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, both of you. Yeah, compression was the problem, as I treid with ZIP compression only.

ZIP compresses 16bit MUCH faster than 8bit files. Thats weird, tho.

Anyway, turning off compression or using LZW behaves like expected. 8 bit saves faster here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should also disable compression in Prefs>File Handling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Earth Oliver wrote:

you should also disable compression in Prefs>File Handling

For PSDs, which expect for very few users (mainly those working with ID), bring nothing useful to the party TIFF doesn't and only ensures fewer (non-Adobe) products can open that data. 

The OP is right to be sticking with TIFF. More why, (by Jeff Schewe) here:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=18965.msg134830#msg134830

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no free lunch; smaller TIFFs and slower opening and saving. That said, if you want smaller TIFFs, if you use ZIP, it will be less compatible with other readers of the TIFF format. No an issue with Photoshop of course, but maybe an issue in the future with other products you may also use.

More here: http://digitaldog.net/files/TIFFvsPSD.pdf

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines