A Comedy of Errors

New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's so much going wrong with Photoshop, I don't even know where to begin.

It started off with scratch disk full errors (which is shocking because I use a 1TB solid state external drive for that), which would cause photoshop to crash. At one point it threw up a registry error. Did a Google search for the error and found this list of steps to take, which seemed like a good idea at the time: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-photoshop-keeps-crashing/

Unfortunately Restoro did something I can't even begin to understand and caused Windows to stop working correctly.

So I reset Windows 10 with a fresh install and now Adobe Creative Cloud/Photoshop is the only non-windows default software on my Surface Pro 7.

It's still not working right.

The new install first indicated issues with text. I found this community thread, which did fix that:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-text-changes-do-not-update-windows/...

After the text-based project, I decided to start sketching in photoshop. I quickly discovered that pinch-to-zoom wasn't working at all. Another thread (that I no longer have the link for) advised that I go to Edit>Preferences>Tools and check the "Zoom with Scroll Wheel" option, which I did. This really didn't work. I have to perform the pinch-to-zoom numerous times before it catches up with the idea - if it catches on at all.

Speaking of gestures. Photoshop now seems to think that every single finger-touch on the screen is a mouse click, which it didn't do before. This is affecting every tool in the menu and fighting with my pen. I tried unchecking "Enable Gestures" in preferences, but this didn't do anything.

I don't know if this is a separate issue, but anything I do with vectors is behaving weirdly as well. I will draw a path with the pen tool or the line tool and then go to make anchor adjustments using the Direct Select Tool, only to have a pop-up say "This operation will turn a live shape into a regulat path. Continue?" - which is extra weird because I have "path" selected from the tools drop-down menu before I draw the line.

I'm hoping that there's some sort of weird overaching issue that can fix all of this, because it is a lot of little things otherwise.

---- System information: ----

Device: Surface Pro 7, 118gb drive
I use a seagate 1tb solid state external drive for photoshop scratch disks
Windows 10 and Adobe Creative Cloud are fresh installs and up to date.
Photoshop version 23.3.2

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G4 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.50 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.60 GB usable)
Device ID 840F3A53-473D-4D86-A985-CEA63B587458
Product ID 00342-23747-04899-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎5/‎10/‎2022
OS build 19043.1645
Serial number 032315794553
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dragonmun, sorry you are having issues.

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale setting somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually 

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply. 

Thank you,

-- Cory

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, this is surely just a web page designed to "sell" Restoro. I see this over and over - pages claiming to be troubleshooting helpers, which contain some good, useful steps and end by suggesting you use a particular tool or download. These tools or downloads often contain malware.  Often they are automatically generated for thousands of "troubles".

General advice: be VERY cautious when following troubleshooting steps you find with a web search, unless it's on the original company's own site.

The "scratch disk full" issue seems to always mean what it says - the disk is indeed filling up, and there are a number of different causes. But registry error? Make sure to capture nasty surprise error messages.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines