• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A lot of bugs after the latest 2020 update (hand tool, color picker, selection tool etc)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the latest Photoshop update I've began experiencing a lot of different bugs.
Never had problems with this before the update.

I usually have a lot of different files/canvases open at the same time. References, sketches, illustrations etc. The following bugs will happen on some canvases and some not. Sometimes they're so random I can't really figure out what's going on. Sometimes closing and re-opening Photoshop helps. Sometimes not.

- The hand tool jumps around. It doesn't move my canvas smoothly like before. It's completely useless and I'll have to use the scroll bars to navigate around instead.
- The zoom in/out tool won't work. Nothing happens.
- The selection tool doesn't make the selection I want it to make. It'll make random selections and I can't deselect it by clicking once on the canvas. I gotta right click > deselect.
- The color pick tool will not pick up colors. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Sometimes It'll pick up only greys (even though the color i tried to pick is purple).

Can I download the previous version? I really regret updating Photoshop. I don't have time to deal with bugs, I gotta finish my deadlines. 😛

I'm running Windows 10. I work with both mouse and a Wacom tablet.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Hi, 21.2.1 lists some freeze issues being adressed, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, which update are you talking about? Ps21.1?

Are you using the wintab text document fix with your Wacom?

Did you try resetting the preferences?

How are you zooming? with the tool, a shortcut? does it have a problem when there is only one document open?

About the color picker: using the tool, or the shortcut? is there also an B&W document open? is a layer mask targeted?

It is possible to install Ps 20 (Ps CC2019) from the CC application (other versions)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the 21.1 update.
No, I don't have the wintab fix. I have however changed the Windows Ink settings so that those annoying circles stop appearing and my brush sensitivity is normal.
No, I haven't tried to reset my preferences. I'll try that. If it doesn't work I'll reinstall the older version of PS.
I usually use shortcuts for zooming and color picking - but they don't act normal neither with the tools or the shortcuts. No - there's no b & w document open. But, the layers that I've tried to colorpick are within a folder that has a mask. (but the mask is not selected).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, we'll need more info, which version of the wacom driver? is it the most recent one? did you try an older one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have driver version 6.3.38-2, which is the latest one. I haven't tried an older one.
The bugs will be there even if I use a mouse, pen or shortcuts.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I've also had a major problem with Photoshop freezing for like, the past year. I thought it was my pc causing the problems so I bought a brand new one with great specs. Updated all my drivers and almost had nothing else installed on my pc except the Adobe programs and my old ps brushes. Still freeze multiple times per day at it's worst.  I made a post about it some time ago but I still haven't been able to find a solution.

This makes me suspect that maaaaybe this is a windows ink or wacom issue? I have no idea how to figure this out though.
I also don't even know if this is relevant, because as mentioned these new bugs will be there even if I use shortcuts and mouse only + they appeared after the photoshop update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problems and its September

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, seems somewhat familiar.
The selection tool and the crop tool will make different selections than what I'm trying to make. They're impossible to use.
Then i restart Photoshop and they work fine for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue.

I've a brand new machine and Adobe 2020.

The Pan tool (using space bar) jumps back after I let go and I cannot navigate the canvas sorrectly. Also, Guidelines jump to the wrong spot - it's as thought the canvas coordinates are off. When I restart photoshop it works again. 

This has happened every second day unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olá, bom dia!! Estava passando pelo mesmo problema e tudo foi resolvido após desativar o uso de tinta do Windows, também no panel de configurações da minha Wacom, ativei a opção de forçar proporcões da tela. Até então o problema  não se apresentou mais e o que eu julgava ser um problema de desempenho da minha máquina, era apenas um bug de incompatibilidade de sistema. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm having the same issue .. it is making my work VERY difficult. Does it with wacom and mouse. 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a very similar problem.
After using Photoshop for some time the pointer tool freezes and I can't change to the other one. It works again when you close Photoshop but sometimes not. I have 32GB of RAM and I reserve 80% for Photoshop so I don't think it's a computer problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 21.2.1 lists some freeze issues being adressed, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's the same in After effects, crash a lot and the picker doesn't work

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines