• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

a way to cut and paste a marquee area in one click ?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i select a marquee area and ctrl J,  i can copy an area of one layer into a new layer, problem is if i want to remove that same section from the original layer i need to make the marquee again, which can be tricky if its an elaborate marquee

is there an equivalent for cutting and pasting to a new layer?   ie. removing that section from the original layer

(i know that selecting 'cut and paste' tends to do this, but the new layer doesnt always appear in the correct position, sometimes the position of the new layer changes and its a lot of clicks, i want a short cut like ctrl J )

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Yes, and this feature has been around for 20+ years. You're doing layer via copy and what you want is layer via cut.

ctrl/sh-J or in the menus: Layer>New>Layer via Cut

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The around this would be to save the original Selection by going Selection> Save Selection and give a name, before you execute the Cmd/Ctrl + J sort cut.

Screenshot 2019-10-03 at 20.40.28.pngScreenshot 2019-10-03 at 20.41.08.pngScreenshot 2019-10-03 at 20.41.15.png

This way you can then simple go to selection> Load Selection and bring back the exact same selection

Hope this helps!

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why use this method instead of the one already built into Ps? Layer via Cut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The selection goes away when you use New > Layer via Cut, so it doesn't work if you have multiple layers and want to cut or copy the same area from each one. At least, it doesn't seem to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can easily cmd/ctrl-click the new layer to re-load the selection...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you explain this a bit more? I use the marquee tool to select a rectangular area. If I copy the area and then paste, I get a new layer with a copy of what was inside the rectangle. That's all good, but then the marquee selection is gone and I cannot make a copy the same area on another layer. I tried your suggestion of ctrl-click, but the marquee rectangle does not come back. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and this feature has been around for 20+ years. You're doing layer via copy and what you want is layer via cut.

ctrl/sh-J or in the menus: Layer>New>Layer via Cut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines