• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action fails to save to png

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Through the years ive made quite a lot of actions that makes my day to day job easier.
I'm not a scripter so thats why i use actions. But with the newer versions of CC, each time my actions are not working as they should.

Problem: i have a batch of images, that need to be processed the same way, and after the steps i want to save them. Normaly the action records my settings. But now the save as png option is relocated. So i redesign my action and use save a copy. But then when i specify a path for the file. It used the whole path including the file name. So when i execute the batch in Bridge and use the photoshop action, all works fine except all the images are each time saved under the same name. Is this a error in photoshop or am i doing something wrong?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create document, start recording, save it anywhere with chosen file format but without changing the name, stop recording. This way you avoid saving item to have specified file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that, just the way you mentioned. Each file that is opened and went through the action, gets the filename from the first time i made the action. It is very strange. And it is not only with the png file format but also with all the other file formats.   But it's only with the "save copy" function, when making another action with the "save as" function, all works fine.

The only thing is that i need the png format.

I'm trying now a work around, and use the older "save for web" function. And that works, but it takes much longer with each file.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Include steps in the action to make the file compliant with the PNG specification first. Then you can use a standard Save. Since PNG supports 16 bit and transparency, it may just be necessary to flatten the file (layers are not supported).

In any case you can check that by saving a copy and noting which properties in the original file survives.

If color accuracy is important, note that there is a bug that may cause the color profile to be stripped from PNGs in a Save As. The profile is correctly preserved with Export or Save For Web (the latter can be recorded in actions; the former not).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The profile is correctly preserved with Export or Save For Web (the latter can be recorded in actions; the former not). I noticed that, only thing with the old save for web. It takes a whole lot longer to process. But for now this way it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I did that, just the way you mentioned. Each file that is opened and went through the action, gets the filename from the first time i made the action."

It can't have name of first file when making action, as this method creates the path only.

Additionally fill boxes for 'Enable legacy "Save As"' and 'Do not append "copy" to filename when saving copy' of File Saving Options of File Handling of General Preferences. Try again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't have name of first file when making action, as this method creates the path only.

Then there is a bug, cause the action does not only create the path but also keeps the file-name when creating the action. 

you guys know where i can report "errors" with adobe photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you checked boxes in preferences what is exactly your version of Ps, 22.5.1(2), 23?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps, 22.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There were few threads alike yours and the solution for was like that one provided by me.

I just made sure now it works also for .png file. After creating new document, starting recording, then saving a document (without assigning name, so leaving as untitled) in the folder where the file does not exist yet, finally stopping recording, I can see there is no name of file at end of path (in action item).

If on your side there is a file name at end of path, what is its name, Untitled-1.png?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines