Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action using save as

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am using Photoshop 22.5.0

Prior to the save as change I used an action to save as and close current image which worked fine. Today when make an action to save as the action works fine except evey time except I use it it renames the file to the name of the original file used making ther action oveerwrites the existing file. Result aster using it on 20 files what I am left with is the original file name of the file used to make the action and the last file saved as the action was overwriting the same file every time it saved.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Create new document and while recording save it as .jpg in wanted location without changing name.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Finally you understand what I tried to tell you 😉 As to your question, if you ticked the action save item in Action panel it is normal the dialog pops up. Leave that box empty and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please excuse the spelling will not let me change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create new document and while recording save it as .jpg in wanted location without changing name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thank you

Using the new document name has the action keep only the file location and not the file name.  

Is it normal to then have the action  stop on file name and options?

Craig Wollman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally you understand what I tried to tell you 😉 As to your question, if you ticked the action save item in Action panel it is normal the dialog pops up. Leave that box empty and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you run this manually 20 times or was this run once with 20 input files through the Batch command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I export from lightroom, photoshop opens new image, crop image, run action, image closes, export  new image from lightroom and repeat. The action uses the file name from when the action was made which replaces the file every time it saves. The thing is prior to the save as change in photoshop this action worked using current image file name.

Thanks for looking

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't my tip help to solve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What  he is trying to tell you is your action will always save over that file for you recoded it to save that file.

image.png

He told you to record just the Path

image.png

image.png

With no Name Photoshop recorded Photoshop will use the  current document's Name for the file name being saved the the file type you set in the save as dialog.  Do not touch the dialog's file name field do not set it.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you for the information.

It is very clear and helpful.

I am using the most recent version of Photoshop and when creating an action using the save as during recording it will not let me leave the file name empty it will simply not let me continue. With a name all images saved with that action have that name. I understand that. I went to my laptop where I had my old save as action (prior to save as changes) and it looks like what you tell me to do. With my most recent version of Photoshop I see no way to make the action without the file name. I also do not see a way to edit an existing action.

Thank you for you time in trying to help me.

Craig Wollman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While recording saving as action keep 'Untitled-1' for created document instead of no name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thanks for taking the time to answer.

My save as with Untitled-1 for a name saves a document named Untitled-1

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create new unnamed document (Untitled-1 by default), and when 'saving as' there was already 'Untitled-1' in saving file name field, or you typed this name by hand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you recoded the step you touch the File Name field in the Dialog that sets the File Name. When you do that the step will be recorded with the full path and file Name and extension like you show in your Action. 

If you look at the Action I posted you will see two Save As steps. In the first Save As step just the Path is recorded into the step.  The second Save As step the Path, File Name, And Extension is recorded like your save as step because I set the File Name when I recorded  the second Save As step. Where I did not touch the File name field recording the First Save As step  just the save to folders path I set is recorded into that step.  

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
Contains

Example
Download

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this post meant for this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thanks for taking the time to answer.

My photoshop will not let me create the entry without a file name.

It looks like if I use save copy instead of save as the action will work but then I have copy on the end of the file name.

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it took me a while but it did

Thank You

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited my previous post you marked as correct answer.

Read it if you have problem with action stoping at options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this looks like a possible bug in photoshop 22.5. and/or Lightroom Classic 10.4.

If i open a camera raw file from Lightroom Classic 10.4 into photoshop 22.5 i get the same results you do trying to save a jpeg, in that is the file name is retained.

Screenshot-(255).jpgScreenshot-(256).jpg

If i open a file from somewhere else using File>Open and record the same action, the file name is not retained.

Screenshot-(257).jpg

So i would suggest opening a file from somwhere on your computer not using Lightroom and record the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not install Lightroom.  Photoshop open Raw file through ACR. There is no Lightroom Develop Plug-in for Photoshop to open RAW files in Photoshop.  ACR can use Lightroom's Develop modules RAW settings from Lightroom  for ACR and Lightroom, use the same Adobe Raw Conversion engine.   Save as records fine in Photoshop 22.5 when a RAW file is open or placed into Photoshop.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, i can only get the action recording issue as the op describes it, when opening a camera raw file from Lightroom Classic 10.4 into photoshop 22.5. Tiff and jpeg files opened from lightroom into photoshop do not exhibit the same action recording issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom Passed Jpeg and Tiff file to Photoshop. Photoshop may open them. Photoshop has support for those image file formats.  Photoshop does not have support for Camera Raw Image File formats.  Photoshop would have to use Adobe ACR Plug-in to process Camera RAW files passed to it From Lightroom.    Perhaps Lightroom has some special interface to pass something to Photoshop to have ACR open the RAW conversion as a Smart Object Layer or as a Background Layer.   I do not know exactly how things work between Lightroom and Photoshop. All I know is Lightroom does not support Layers so I do not install Lightroom.  I just use Adobe Bridge for some things. I do not particularly want to use two different Raw conversion interfaces. Lightroom Library system is a lot of overhead when you do not need it.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Results summary

Objective

Create Photoshop action to save file with original file name and close file.

Scenario 1

Original file used to make action is jpg from Lightroom using edit in Photoshop.

Edit in Photoshop (photo edit in Photoshop Ctrl+E.

Crop image in Photoshop.

Start record

File save as       note save copy works same way

File come into Photoshop as Tiff change file type to JPEG and set path then save.

JPEG options set no change from default and OK

Click X on file name to close file

No to save changes to Photoshop document.

End record

RESULT

Action runs to completion

Filename is in action any file used is renamed to name in action.

Scenario 2

Original file used to make action is jpg from Bridge double click to edit in Photoshop

File to make action came into Photoshop as PSD otherwise no change in action creation from above.

RESULT

Action runs to completion

Using save as

Filename is blank in action, path only, original file name retained but “copy” is added to end of file name.

Creating action using “save copy” only change was image name created on action record did not have copy, when action was run copy was added to image name.

Scenario 3

Original file used to make action was new document in Photoshop original name of Untitled-1 was retained and it was a jpg file.

Result

Path only recorded on action save location.

If image a jpg from bridge or file explorer action runs to completion file name is original file name.

If image is from Lightoom or a raw file from bridge or file explorer the action stops at save as for a reply and quality for a reply and save for a reply.

craigw17375229_2-1629645339178.pngcraigw17375229_3-1629645355424.png

craigw17375229_4-1629645375209.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if filling 'Do not append "copy" to filename when saving a copy' box in:

'Edit / Preferences / File Handling / File Saving Options' changes anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines