Actions behaving differently on 2 computers

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A coworker and I both have CC accounts through our employer (he's on Mac, I'm on PC). I wrote an action that consistenly works on my computer but behaves differently on his (starting with exact same base file, no error messages, completes the actions BUT with different finished outcome). We're both up to date on most recent programs and other coworkers on Mac have no issues. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you apparently have different preferences somewhere. You need to go through the action step by step to find out where.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are more bugs in actions than people think, and they may appear differently on a PC or Mac, but it's more likely something else.

But yes, always check step by step if it does exactly what you wanted.

Every new PS version is a changed bug environment, so best to be at the exact same version, and use the action exactly the same way (to test). If not, spots where you select "layer 2" might be "layer 4" in his document, which is why you need to be clever when writing an action.

Language has to be the same too. "Background" is called differently in French, etc.

One preference is if you have automatic masks selected or not. Most people do (default), I don't. If that's different, it would usually give obvious error dialogs though.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you posted a cropped screenshot of the entire action with all steps expanded/open and the panel wide enough to view all content. It would also help to explain exactly what the difference is.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Your photoshop settings are probably different at the start of the action.

foreground/background color, preferred units, color profile, order of
swatches, ... Things like that.

More detail is needed for a more accurate answer, but happy to help look.
🙂

--
JEF BRACKE
Image Processor / Automation Developer | NER Digital Factory - Photographers
Cell. +32498495059
jef.bracke@veepee.com <%20jef.bracke@veepee.com>
Humaniteitslaan 292/1 • 1190 • VORST
[image: veepee] <>

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines