Actions Panel - grouping actions

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was very confused about grouping individual actions into 'sets' or groups simply because the instructions I was receiving online were NOT working. Instructions were to select each individual action that you wanted to put into a 'set' or group, then click on the folder icon at the bottom of the actions panel, and 'boom' you were supposed to have each individual action that you had selected organized into a set.

I tried and tried every way I could think of and it just wouldn't work.

Then...duh...I realized that the actions I was selecting were ALREADY in folders of their own.

Once I opened that folder and got to the actual action inside, and selected it, it worked like a charm.

I'm willing to reveal my dumbness in order to save someone the trouble I went through!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop’s preset organization still seems a bit non-unified

Brushes Groups can contain Groups, but Action Sets cannot contain other Sets, … 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, however, it makes sense when one understands that the parent action set isn't really a folder, but a latent .atn file (if saved) that contains one or more child actions. If Adobe had used a file icon instead of a folder icon in the interface, would it possibly have been more obvious that one can't store a file in a file (Yes, I know that the analogy is not great, as a .zip file can store multiple files)?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s very much a minor thing, but I understand how people might expect »more« of the Actions Panel at current. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I continue to wonder how they could have made it a little more obvious. The standard and universal way that Adobe does things in the panels is you highlight the individual items and then click the folder button to create a folder for those individual highlighted files, so that part to me was okay.  Maybe they should not allow folders to be imported into the Actions panel at all, and instead give a warning that only the latent .atn file can be imported....idk....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines