• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Actual size in Photoshop 2021 is half size in Mac's Preview program

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I just gotten a new 16 inch Regina MacBook Pro and have installed the 2021 Photoshop on it. I am used to work on a non-Regina Mid-2012 15.4" screen. To my surprise a picture file which normally fits my whole screen have now reduced the view in Photoshop to half it's size, so I have to zoom it in to 200% to have the "normal view/size" that I am used to. Further more the same picture file appears the normal size I am used to in acutal 100% size in my MacBook's preview program - so it is only in Photoshop the size appear smaller.... 

I would have understood that it was the resolution of the new Regina screen that made the picture file smaller, but then it should also appear the same size in the preview program ?

Any way of making the working view to what I am used to ? I tried to find the UI function, but it seems it is no longer in ther prefernces => Interface in the 2021 Photoshop program...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Consumer-oriented image viewers and web browsers scale the image up to 200% when they detect a high density screen. This is the standard workaround to ensure images display at the same physical screen size regardless of screen technology.

Photoshop can't do that, it has to display accurately. 100% in Photoshop has nothing to do with size. It means one image pixel is represented by exactly one screen pixel, and that's what Photoshop does.

To mimic the behavior of those other viewers, set Phot

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consumer-oriented image viewers and web browsers scale the image up to 200% when they detect a high density screen. This is the standard workaround to ensure images display at the same physical screen size regardless of screen technology.

Photoshop can't do that, it has to display accurately. 100% in Photoshop has nothing to do with size. It means one image pixel is represented by exactly one screen pixel, and that's what Photoshop does.

To mimic the behavior of those other viewers, set Photoshop to View > 200%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Viewing at 200% still gives me blurry text even when anti-aliased. I just got a new 24" and my 2015 27" doesn't have this issue.  I wish there were a better setting than to view at 200%. It's just not giving me what the browser is giving me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your problem only related to text? Do your graphics look OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To expand Michael's point:

Photoshop is a pixel-based raster image editor. Text will always be rendered on screen as pixels, at the base document resolution.

This is very different from live text in a web browser, which is vector data that can be scaled up indefinitely and still be rendered at full screen resolution.

In other words, you cannot compare those two. What you can compare is handling of images. For images, view > 200% in Photoshop will be identical to a web browser.

Generally, Photoshop is the wrong tool for text. It will always be pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this pixel-based response. I've read it over and over in many forums.
The retina display is what is changing the way I view my files. As I said,
I used an older iMac in which Photoshop displays my text and graphics just
fine at 100%. So this change just has me feeling frustrated that I can't do
things the way I've always done them. The 200% view doesn't fix things. It
does appear to be the text that is the issue and not the graphics. I'll
just have to learn to live with designing with blurry graphics I guess. I
do a lot of graphic manipulation where illustrator won't work for me.
Thanks for the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a very bad tool for working with text under any circumstances! Photoshop will always treat text as pixels, and rasterize to the base document resolution (except through some elaborate workarounds involving PDF). Anything you save out from Photoshop will be pixels. This is why it looks bad when you scale it to 200%.

Text should ideally be made natively in your website builder and put on top of the image. Live text is vector and can be scaled up indefinitely, and still render on screen at full screen resolution.

Alternatively, make it in Illustrator or another vector application, and save out to a vector format like SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scaling BY DEFAULT is 200% on most Retina displays, but not all, and its user-adjustable.

My 2015 15" MacBook Pro has a native resolution of 2880x1800 pixels and can scale to 1920x1200, 1680x1050, 1440x900, 1280x800, or 1024x640.

Photoshop will always display using the native 2880x1800, so at 1440x900 (default), you set images at 200% in Photoshop.

Blurry text is a different issue, text is normally rendered with anti-aliasing so it SHOULD look a bit fuzzy. Remember that its normally not viewed at 100% outside of an image editor. When printed, Photoshop sends the fonts to the printer as outlines unless you have rasterized the type layer, so printing is sharp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had this same problem, but didn't like the 200% view solution they give here.
Don't know if it works on all macbooks, but on my M1 macbook using Big Sur if you go to Applications > Adobe Photoshop > Get Info (Cmd+i) there's a checkbox where it says "Open in Low Resolution". That did it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I just started using PS 2022 and have the same issue but unfortunately your fix is not showing up, sucks because i work between 2 different laptops using different OS and have to use one at 100% and the other at 200% which just feels totally wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's a checkbox where it says "Open in Low Resolution". That did it for me.

By @forma

...and it turns your retina display that you paid good money for, into a standard HD display. You could have saved the money.

If you just stop for a minute and consider what native display resolution actually is, this all becomes intuitive. Yes, of course it has to be smaller on a high resolution display - unless you compensate by letting one image pixel be represented by four screen pixels. In other words, turn it into an HD low resolution display.

None of this has anything to do with the actual image. These are all display properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just moaning the was I am used to working is no longer possible, and after 20 odd years of working on photoshop on mutplie computers and having 100% represent a certain thing, now suddenly it represents half of that thing and there's apparently no way that PS gives me to alter it within their program(?) which seems odd to me. If new screens come out that chnage the appearance of the images to what it has been for 20 years then maybe put a 'classic' version into the new programs? Like i have 2x 16 inch laptops sitting along side eachother, both with the same image (700px high @72dpi) open, one in PS CS5 on an old 2015 MBP and one in PS 2022 on a new 2022 MCB and they look radically different, and when i upload the image to my website or send it in an email it looks almost identical in size to the older CS5/2015 version so for my whole professional life there was at least VISUAL similarities accross all my applications, and that's all I want as I predominantly do things online not actual printing so I have zero need to know what size it will print at. And I know the reverse is true, like whenever I sent images to people that was intended for printing  i would always tell them "look at it @50% in Photoshop, not 100% so that you get a more accurate idea of what details you will see"........but that doesnt change the fact that I am upset rn 😄 Of course i can just get over it and view things at 200% but it feels weird because that always represented pixelisation and distortion to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

None of this has any relevance. Its a new, better type of display and it works a bit different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines