• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding effects to a video layer for drawn animation?

Participant ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Using PS 22.5.6

I'm new to doing drawing animation in Photoshop and using layers to create them.

What I'd like to know is if I can manipulate a layer such as add a blur, change the hue saturation, etc.

When I try with an adjustment layer it will just alter that one frame.

As mentioned before I am creating these as multiple video layers.

Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Hi Weaver23

The video clip you want to affect will have a coresponding Video Group in the Layers panel.

Right click the layer and make it a Smart Object.

Then apply the filter, plugin whatever to the layer, and it will affect the entire clip.  You apply multiple affects.

You can use the mask to restrict where the affect is applied.

image.png

You can already add Adjustment Layers to a video group, and wouldn't need to use Smart Object for that, but they would still work for the entire clip either way.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Thank you but when I try to add a gaussian blur to a layer it adds it to only 1 frame in the timeline, an adjustment layer seems to work for the entire timeline though:)

Here is a screen cap

Weaver23_0-1655900821338.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could post a screen shot that includes your Layers and Timeline panels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , I posted it below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Weaver23

The video clip you want to affect will have a coresponding Video Group in the Layers panel.

Right click the layer and make it a Smart Object.

Then apply the filter, plugin whatever to the layer, and it will affect the entire clip.  You apply multiple affects.

You can use the mask to restrict where the affect is applied.

image.png

You can already add Adjustment Layers to a video group, and wouldn't need to use Smart Object for that, but they would still work for the entire clip either way.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but when I try to add a gaussian blur to a layer it adds it to only 1 frame in the timeline, an adjustment layer seems to work for the entire timeline though:)

Here is a screen cap

Weaver23_0-1655900821338.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay! I think I've got it. First time I did the smart object it didn't seem to work, this time it has and I now have a blur affecting only that layer. Wonderful!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines