• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe 2021 (Photoshop & Indesign) won't work with CS5 PSD-files

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked all my client's stuff on an old Macbook using CS5 for the last 10 years. Now I bought an iMac and a new MacBook and made a subscription for a creative suite. Everything is set up and installed and works perfectly. BUT:

My existing "old" PSD files are not opening in Photoshop 2021. It says that they are not recognized and cant be opened. (and YES they are actually really PSD and no i did not rename them)

And (although i relinked them) they do not show up in my indesign file. There are just a lot of symbols filling the frame.

HELP. Cant work on my existing projects. Don't know what to do!

Thx, Kerstin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Try tif, that also supports Layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KerstinKriks Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please let us know the exact version of Photoshop you have installed (the latest is 22.5.1) and what troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. Also, make sure your iMac and/or MacBook (are you using the CC subscription on both?) has the minimum system requirements necessary to run all Adobe programs.

This issue might be related to a corruption in the PSD files. Or it could be with Photoshop and the best way to fix this error is to reinstall Photoshop and try reopening the PSD files again if you haven't tired that already. Also, if you want to share one or two of the PSD files here, we can test them on our side to see if we can open them and place them in InDesign.

The system requirements for Photoshop are here: Photoshop system requirements (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the latest version. Doesnt change. 

My Mac should meet all the requirements. I'd say.

(the older one where the files are coming from does not. that is why i bought the new equipment. On the old Macbook i had installed bought programs back in the day. And i did not use the subscription on that)

Troubleshooting so far.

I have tried saving again. copying the files in different ways. Using files from icloud and from the local harddrive. And i added Photoshop in the system preferences security and privacy to Full Disk Access. 

here the link to 3 of the files: https://jmp.sh/jTiVbdS

if they are corrupted is there any way to fix that? I am an Illustrator working to finish a childrens book. it would be quite a challenge to do everything again on my new computer. Thx for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've opened PSD's from the 90's in the current version, sounds like yours may be corrupted somehow. Can you upload one for others to check that they can or cannot open them? Use something like Dropbox, and they don't need to be big files, just example(s) of one you cannot open. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog 

this would be the link to 3 of the files: https://jmp.sh/jTiVbdS

hope that works. Thx for trying them in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your files are corrupted.

If you open the file with a simple text editor such as Windows notepad you should see the file header which for a PSD file starts "8BPS"

Example start of a known good file :

2021-09-16_10-40-18.jpg

Yours does not have that file header :

2021-09-16_10-38-09.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Dave

Is there anything i can do now? Or do i have to do it all over again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I could see of the file there is no data in it to recover. 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, these files look pretty well corrupt. No version of Photoshop, or app that can read PSD, will be able to read these files. Likely a hardware/data transfer error sometime/sometime in the life of these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KerstinKriks I didn't have any luck either trying several methods and conversion tools including https://photoshop.recoverytoolbox.com and https://www.psd.repair but the file doesn't contain any data and @davescm gives you the reason.

Just to be sure, did you go back to the original folder location of the files on your old computer where you were last able to open the documents and look under file properties to see if there is an earlier version saved? You could also do a search there for .tmp files. I don't think you will have any luck with repairing these but do try the link @jane-e gives below. I'm so sorry you've lost so much work.

Perhaps a wild last idea is checking this video by James Ssekamatte where he demonstrates the process of recovering a corrupted PSD file using Sketchbook Pro. Worth a shot?

JainLemos_0-1631806400017.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KerstinKriks wrote:

Adobe 2021 (Photoshop & Indesign) won't work with CS5 PSD-files

If your InDesign files are corrupt, try these steps. You can also follow the link to package and send the file to the InDesign team.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

Try these steps for Photoshop files:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/file-recovery-photoshop.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open them either, with Photoshop or Graphics Converter. 

AFAIK, these documents are toast. Sorry. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images were used in Indesign I assume pdfs were created at some point. 

If they were PDF/X-4 it might be possible to salvage the images from a pdf (albeit possibly downscaled and converted to the target color space). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I worked all my client's stuff on an old Macbook using CS5 for the last 10 years.«

Do you still have the computer? 

Do the files still open there in Photoshop CS5? 

How did you transfer them to the new computer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That last point from c.pfaffenbichler is a very good one. If the files are still on your old computer, go back there and start the transfer again. The data might have been lost in the copy and transfer to the new PC so might still exist in the original files.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do have the original files. They do open on my old computer. (I had to change computers because the old one has started shutting down mid-work.)

I tried diffferent methodes to transfer as I thought that might have made them buggy. So I did external harddrive and wetransfer and sending one per mail to try. I can see a preview pic but that is it. I can save it under another format an see if it works then. that is my momentary plan. I'd just rather have it in psd because the pics are collages and if i have change something (which could happen). Maybe you have another idea.

Thx so much.

Kerstin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try tif, that also supports Layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this did the trick!!! your suggestion saved me! Thx so much! I saved them all in tif ... transfered them ... had to re-save them in psd on the new mac (cause although there was no background, when putting them into indesign they were white in the background) ... but hey that wasnt that bad.

i send you a virtual giftbasket 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quite frankly I don’t know why this issue would arise, but good to know a work-around is possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And have you tried zipping the images before transfering them? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KerstinKriks 

Another thing for us to add is to say that when you start up again, back up your files at least daily to two or more devices other than the computer you are are working on. 

• Time machine
  • External hard drive
  • Cloud storage: Adobe's Cloud, Microsoft One Drive, Dropbox

Because you are using InDesign, choose File > Package to package the .indd, .idml, .pdf using your .joboptions, fonts, and images into a new folder. Be sure to name the folder — either sequentially or with the date so you'll know which folder to delete when needed.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines