• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe 2024 memory leak

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody having issues/have a solution for the 2024 memory link? I eventually have to shut down everything I'm working on because Adobe will start using more and more ram till it maxes out even with one file open.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post Help > System Info, and show screenshots from Task Manager.

Photoshop's memory requirements will by nature be very much higher than most other software. It's also frequently misunderstood that PS by design does not release memory whan you close a file. That memory will be recycled and reused, to avoid requesting it from the OS over and over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am dealing with same thing today it used up 98 percent of my ram I got windows 10 machine with 3060 nvidia video card, 16 gb ram, i7. What do I need other than more ram or ? It just sucks that it takes so much ram to do anything that it freezes my computer. I almost regret my subscription now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I figured this out with some private tech support and free download of cc cleaner. The issue is my favorites, which sucks and also explains why it went missing. The more times I like something on adobe firefly the more favorites I have thus it's literally saved in place that uses up the ram on my computer thus causing the memory cleaner. The bad thing is when cc cleaner cleaned out 50 gb of whatever it found it deleted all my favorites and all my unsaved old images went away too. I wish there was easier way to manage my firefly favorites. Deleting them is bit of hassle if you're like me with tons, quickest way basically deletes them with cc cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is why CCleaner is a pile of hot garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gather this was CC Cleaner and not the similarly named but completely different Adobe CC Cleaner Tool?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truthfully I am not sure the tech support person my friend hired to get my computer checked out and installed installed it. But the memory issues went away, but so did all my favorites too from firefly. My memory issues went away too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well in my case it fixed memory leak but it sucked it deleted my favorites. I assume the memory leak was due to how many favorites I had and how Adobe firefly has it set up. I wish there was another way to store favorites truthfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by favorites?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Favorites are whatever you put click like on your adobe firefly creations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Favorites" is just a bookmark. All files are saved somewhere on disk, and you'll make things a lot easier for yourself if you make a note of where you actually save your files to. Better yet, have a logical folder structure to save to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I always assumed the favorites was like on a website a part of our monthly subscription but never been able to figure out how to use the storage space we have but is going away. How do I tell firefly where to save it? I know when I was having issues it was due to how much I had going on where ever it was saved and it went away when the tech guy installed cc cleaner. I really like to keep the images somewhere else that don't use up all my ram personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a bit of a shock/surprise when checking my system.  I hadn't shut it down for at least a week, and had a few windows open, but I was using 40Gb (of 64Gb) and I almost never see that.  Even when shutting every thting down, I was still using 12Gb.

I restarted and with just Chrome running I am showing 8.3Gb

Creating a 50,000 pixel square document didn't make much difference, but I have a 17Gb temp file on the Scratch drive

Filling the 50k doc with noise took memory to 24Gb and closing _all_ documents did not release any of that memory.

I waas going to Purge All but that option was greyed out with no open documents, so still 24Gb used.

I had to close Photoshop to get that memory back.

This is not someing I'd be looking at or even thinking about, but it doesn't feel right to me.  Just to be thorough, I opened PS and recreated the big docs and used Edit > Purge > All, and it made no difference.  I was back with 24Gb which dropped to 8.2Gb when I closed PS.  Definitely not what I expected.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS beta gave me back 1Gb after closing all docs, and used a tiny bit less memory than 25.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds normal. This is how it's supposed to behave. If you have many brushes, presets etc. that will occupy a lot of memory from startup.

If you're, say, running a batch, you can't request memory from the OS constantly.

It's not a memory leak unless it exceeds the allocation in Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"maxes out even with one file open"

One example: converting to Smart Object will keep original file in background so you can always go back to original or start over or change some filter even after saving, closing and reopening. No free lunch people use to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered a similar problem in Photoshop CS6, which I still keep in addition to my current Creative Cloud subscription.

I had around 22,000 JPG images, which I was simply loading, and reducing in size, and then cropping before saving.

Running the batch script on the each source file in turn, opening it, performing the steps, saving them into a new folder and then closing, I noticed memory usage creeping up. Within a couple of hours, my PC was at 100% RAM, and Photoshop ground to a halt with an error message.

To process the remaining files, I then had to reboot the computer completely, and re-run the batch script on the remaining files.

This definitely has all the hallmarks of a memory leak. OK, that was CS6, which is now about 11 years old. However, today I have been having related issues running the newest version of Photoshop 2024. I'm still investigating, and will probably raise a fresh post if/when I get to the bottom of things.

FWIW, I also have had similar apparent leaks in my copy of Photoshop 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS - forgot to mention, running on a newish computer (2 years old) with an 8-core Intel Processor, Windows 11 and 32Gb RAM ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem, thankfully I'm on MacOS so it doesn't actually crash. But I was wondering why my memory pressure was so high. I checked and Photoshop was using over 50gb of ram, I had no images open that was just Photoshop running with a blank window! The funny thing is they finally seemed to fix Lightroom's memory problems, now Photoshop is doing what Lightroom used to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may well be a plugin or something else. I have an M1 mini with 16GB of RAM and keep Lightroom Classic and Photoshop open 24/7, and I just dim the screens instead of sleeping. I only reboot for system updates and have not seen a memory leak. However, I have no third-party extensions or plugins loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ryan Smith Photography 

If you've had images open, this memory usage is perfectly normal and expected. Photoshop does not, by design, release memory when you close the file. That memory is recycled and reused for subsequent files. The reason for this is that constantly re-requesting memory from the operating system is slow and inefficient. Just think what would happen when running batches.

Lots of people mistake this for a "memory leak". But it's not. This is not something that would cause Photoshop to crash under any circumstances. Memory usage should saturate quickly. That's efficient use.

A memory leak is when memory usage increases steadily and uncontrollably until running out. The most common scenario for this is integrated GPUs, including Apple silicon. This is because the GPU uses shared system memory, and it can use a lot. Timing is a factor here. GPU memory usage tends to increase slowly over time, while Photoshop allocates memory quickly. So there may not be enough when it's needed, and that's when you get crashes. We've seen quite a bit of this in the Lightroom Classic forum on both platforms, on integrated GPU systems..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm in the last few days with  rendering my 3d scenes for an exam paper. Each time I try to render, after little while, all things stop. RAM went up to 99% and PC is standing still. I waited for 1 hour, after some beeps this little Adobe Window comes up.  

I tried both buttons, reinstall and abort. But it ever make my renderwork impossible again. How can i get rid of this immediately and sustainably? 

20240226_185757.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@apicula  What version of Photoshop are you using? 3D is no longer supported in Photoshop and is being removed.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm I use the Version 2024 but it was off during the rendertrial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meanwhile I deactivated everything, what contains the name Adobe in Autostart, and pulled the LAN Cable out 😉 Now my Images are rendering like they should but that could not be the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines