• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe DNG Converter doesn't copy maker notes from Canon EOS R cr3 files

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use Adobe DNG Converter to convert my Canon EOS R cr3 files, the maker notes are not copied.  I can see the maker notes in the cr3 file, is there a way to add these to the dng file?

Thanks in advance for any help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What metadata field are these "maker notes" added to in the cr3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the maker notes when using ExifTool by Phíl Harvey via ExifTool GUI.  There is a separate section titled "Canon".  In ExifTool GUI when you look at all of the metadata. There is a separate tab that separates the maker section out of the complete exif where you can see this information.  I have done a bit more research and speaking with someone in another forum and have found out that the maker notes are removed in R5 files as well.

The problem this causes is not an Adobe problem, but a DXO Photolab problem caused by the missing maker notes.  Adobe DNG converter does not remove these maker notes from .cr2 files or in older crw files...just cr3.  I have to wonder why Adobe DNG converter is not acting in a consistent way when converting cr3 files compared to older files.

I can keep on just using cr3 files with DXO Photolab and forget about the not so big advantages of dng files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds more like the metadata mapping has changed with the cr3 format. One thing to check is if the makers notes are setup in the same fields/formats as the cr2. If Canon is using a proprietary field for the makers notes, then it would need to be mapped to a related EXIF metadata field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you might be correct.  From what I can tell, most if not all of the relevant info in a cr3 file is included in the dng converted file.  In my case, I suspect the information DXO needs in the metadata is lens model, focal length etc. related.  All of this info is not only in the maker notes, but also elsewhere in the exif data.  I think that DXO made a decision to read this info from the maker notes section when opening dng files and haven't adapted to a change that Adobe made in how the cr3 files are converted in terms of exif data.  I suspect that by removing the redundant data contained in the maker notes that dng files were made a bit smaller....maybe even a literal bit.😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines