• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop 2020 > New Warp-Tool useless...?

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 🙂

I have installed the latest Photoshop-Version!

But now there is a big Problem with the new "enhanced" Warp-Tool...

I can't make a rounded Warping anymore!

If I try to adjust the handles, it makes a Rotation...

And I'm not able to Warp (for example) an Label with an rounding to an Cup anymore...

It's a little bit hard to describe, because my English isn't perfect 😉

But I have try it out, and it's definately not possible anymore like it was before...

[moved from Photoshop Discussions to Photoshop Bugs by moderator]

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This obviously hasn't been resolved yet!!

The warp tool isn't fit for purpose! When we are paying a subscription for software this type of thing really is unacceptable, particularly looking at how long this thread had been going. How hard can it be to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. The issue still exist. Please fix it.

Users like me which got a new pc at work cannot roll back to CC2018/CC2019.
It is funny because no one at work understand why I can't do mockups like before.

The new warp tool is cool - no doubt. But it isn't useable for us who warp smart objects around a cup or a bottle or something.

See you on Photoshop 2022 I guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please address this issue, I've been banging my head on a wall for months over this. About to switch to Affinity if Adobe really isn't going to address basic functionality critical to a package designer's job. Simple fix, reinstate a legacy version of warp until you can come up with a solution. ugh.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG I have the same problem, I have been having so much trouble just to make a simple mockup. I hate this new warp tool, maybe if you could just choose between the past version and the new one? This new warp tool is realy not helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 22.1.0 and the warp tool is still unintuitive and hard to use.

If you use a mesh with only nodes at the corners and nowhere else, then it's possible to get a decent warp effect, so long as the results you want are relatively simple.

But, if you want a more nuanced warp, and split the mesh, any additional nodes created have their handles locked so that if you move one of them, you move all of them, creating unwanted distortions.

All handles on any node should be able to move indepententlly of each other, regardless of whether or not the node is on a corner, edge, or the middle of the mesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. The warp tool is absolutely useless now. Packaging designers need to be able to curve flat artwork *with precision* to a rounded surface such that perspective effects are applied. In the old warp, there were 4 anchor points and 8 handles and the grid in the middle (with no handles or anchor points) could be "massaged" into place with relative ease. That meant that you could stretch the text so that it disappeared around the curve without too much inaccurate distortion of the artwork. Now, there are too many anchors and too many handles (handles that twist when pulled). You can't fluidly wrap something around an object (no matter how any people get up on here and say "have you actually learned to use it properly??"; no, we used the OLD ONE properly!!).

Bring back the old one. I am constantly having to move from old Photoshop to new to use the legacy version of warp. Please! Just include a legacy version of warp and we'll ALL be happy!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the old Warp tool is still there... the default state with no visible mesh is exactly the same as the old warp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an analogy: Adobe updates a car and it no longer has a windshield. But they add a 360-degree swivel driver's seat. Is it exactly the same as the old car? No. A few people might think the new driver's seat is cool. And the car drives the same, but you'll have to look out the side windows to see if you're running off the road.

It's the same for the new warp tool. A few people probably think the split grid feature is cool, but it doesn't really have much practical use. The warp tool's internal grid is analogous to the windshield. The warp tool can still be used like the old version, but we can't see where we're going. So it's difficult to do a precise warp without adding in unwanted distortion. It's a huge step backward, just like a car with no windshield.

I'd love to see refinements and improvements to the old warp tool, including the ability to change the degree of warp at edges to simulate an image wrapping all the way around something, like a mug. And it has never worked very well for an asymmetrical warp. But in the mean time, I'd be satisfied if Adobe would just add a click box in Preferences to use the legacy warp tool. Is that so much to ask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So at this point, is it safe to say that this never getting fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't give up hope just yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blown away by the lack of understanding from Adobe regarding this issue. Using basic round mockups to prove there is nothing wrong with the warp tool. This tool is used for more than just that. Let us break the handles like the pen tool so we can accurately warp to anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 1000000%. Those of us who do A LOT of package design have been screwed here. It's unbelievable that this has not been addressed still????????? Has anything happened with this???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, with the latest release, the tool is beyond broken now. How does it keep getting worse with each version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found an easy work around. Created a cylinder in Adobe Dimension, applied the label to it making sure all the angles were almost exact, rendered the label to a PSD file (that takes about 15 minutes), applied the rendered label to my PSD image, tweaked the sizing and edges and color. Can you sense my sarcasm? Hope so, cuz it's heavy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out a workaround for this? Photoshop's warp is truly almost unusable now for anything beyond the most basic shapes. 
Like many others in here have said, trying to "wrap" a label onto even a pretty basic cylinder has become an incredibly tedious task and one which almost never has good results thanks to the way the invisible interior mesh behaves. It seems that even if you manually adjust allll the handles on your mesh, for some reason the mesh is still retaining some kind of structure that warps in ways you didn't intend/want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looks to me like the tool has been abandoned now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working on solving this issue and have been consulting with the original poster of this thread and reaching out to other packaging designers.
I welcome any feedback on our prototype when it is available - please just send me a private message here or email me directly at Meredith at Adobe dot com.
Thank you,
Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if you could make it work as the Envelope Tool in Illustrator.

If I embed an image in Illustrator, I can warp it any way I want - in a FAR FAR superior way than how Photoshop does it.
It is very dissapointing that Adobe with their money and resources cannot fix this in anything resembling a timely fashion.
This is one of the most important tools in Photoshop - and it is absolute rubbish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After complaining about the changes to the warp tool in 2019 and waiting THREE YEARS for it to get fixed,  I was so excited to see the new Cynlinder option in the warp tool. Finally! But my excitment was short-lived. Why on earth does the new cylinder tool STRETCH the art towards the sides and and compact it vertically? That's just all wrong!  Did you look at any actual products when you re-designed this function? There should be no stretching! Instead the center section of the art should not change and the sides should be pushed towards the center. The amount of distortion should be greatest at the edges and gradually lessen as you get to the center. Unbelievable. Please go back to the drawing board or at least give us access to the legacy warp tool.Cylinder Warp Example.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THIS!!!! What the hell?? How can a multi-million dollar company like Adobe miss such stupid crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad to hear there is finally someone working on this... but it has been more than 2 years since the orginal post. Will we wait another 2 years to see a prototype? Please advise. In the meantime, can you suggest a work-around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh My Lord!!!
🙌 I think it has been fixed ðŸ™Œ 

I'm using Photoshop 2023 and if i'm not mistaken it seems to be working as it used to. Plus, when you confirm the warp and then later come back to it the handles and points are all still in the same position... (i think the warp object used to stay the same but the handles and points reverted back to the rectangular grid positions). And FINALLY, you can move a handle on the side or bottom point without affecting the other handles on that point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately NOT!

Please see attached Jpeg "PSD_Rubbish_Warp_01".
When trying to warp a square graphics area - lets say to fit on the side of a cylinder / can I would want to bring in the sides of the graphic towards the centre and pull in the handles to 'squash' the perspective as it wraps around. What we are still getting as you can see by the black guide lines is a bowing into the centre between the top and bottom warp handles on the left. As both handles are pulled in the same amount it should be a straight line like the red dotted line I have added. You may say - "then put a horizontal handle in the centre and pull that in!". However as you can see on the jpeg PSD_Rubbish_Warp_02 - that just makes it worse and adds more segments that dont perform as they should.

As per my first comment - for goodness sake - make it the same as Illustrator!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AndrewDyer  I see what you mean. Interestingly i use the warp tool for a very similar reason but don't seem to affected by this issue significantly. I think that's becasue instead of ONLY adding a horizontal handle/line in the centre i hold CMD and click on a point in the centre and this places down a horizontal AND vertical point for me, intersecting where i click. It's the vertical line and it's handles at the top and bottom which help me to get rid of that bowing and create a straight up and down appearance to match your dashed red line...
Although I understand this is a bit more fidgety and not exactly what you're hoping the warp tool to be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tristan I I think that is what I illustrated in the second jpeg isnt it? As you can see it pulls in the centre where the new handle is but now in-between the other segments it still bows inwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines