• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop CS4 not working with Catalina 10.15?

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have Adobe Photoshop CS4, and it is now not working and says when I click to launch it, "Adobe Photoshop CS4 needs to be updated. The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information. I have MacOS Catalina 10.15? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Photoshop CS4 will not work on Catalina, you either need to downgrade to the OS that it was working on or subscribe to the Creative Cloud

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not on your own here - I decided during this coronavirus lockdown to upgrade my mac - I waited a month for it to arrive.. it did.. wonderful

none of my software now works.. so i install parallels and latest release of windows 10 and guess what nothing works there either.

So sat here with 2 macs on my desk - a lovely new shiny useless one and my 10 year old work horse with all my software on it

Progress its called 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience was the same as Webspace_Unlimited.

My late 2011 MacBook Pro was updated years a ago with a 500GB SSD. After purchasing a new Macbook with OS Catalina installed I was soon to learn that my lightroom worked, but not CS4. Big Bummer. I went to work on cleaning the old unit and creating more working room... a daunting task! However when I was finished I realised the speed and reliability of my old system is amazing still. So packed up the new for return and sticking with the old. At least for a year... hopefull that is enough time for a patch or fix to run CS4 or CS6 with Apple's new Catalina. If not, then when my old machine slows or is no longer pulling the goodness that she now does, I will upgrade to creative cloud. At the moment I'm content to work effieciently and fast with my 2011 model! New isn't always better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and with all the invested (expensive!) money we put into personal Adobe products, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., Apple has made them useless. It's a product race we're all caught up in. Some of us prefer to make art, don't care about more and more and more. As collective consumers is it time to bring this to a legal standing, stop Apple from the "must do upgrades."  My entire valuable package of Adobe applications are now useless. I can't edit photos anymore and don't have the funds to buy all new Adobe products. Apple is no different (anymore) than Microsoft. Absolutely infuriated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 was from 2008,  CS6 from 2012 . You really expect those to work with an operating system that had not even been thought of when they were released? The backwards compatibility was removed by Apple. Both CS4 and CS6 are way past end of life and, as they are no longer supported, will never be patched.

In digital imaging we work with systems that use hardware (cameras and PCs) , operating systems and software. If we choose to freeze any one of those in time, then the only guaranteed way to ensure they continue to work together is to freeze all three. As soon as we update any one of those, we run the risk that all three might need updating.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2020 and this is where things stand right now.  Legacy Creative Suite (4, 5, 6) cannot run on Catalina. Either downgrade your OS & turn off automatic updates. Get out an old 2nd computer for running legacy software.  Or set-up a virtual machine with an older OS.  Alternatively get all new, 64-bit software. Your choice. https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Legacy Creative Suite is discontinued & unsupported. Use at your own risk.  Adobe cannot help you with discontinued software.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im the same... my 2011 imac just died on me so I brought a new one, with catalina preinstalled.  Now I cant install my CS4 or MS word/excel etc as it says it wont work.
Pain in the ar** 
Im not a full time designer, I use Photoshop for personal and hobby usage (designing book covers and graphics etc) so CANNOT AFFORD the creative cloud.
WHICH SUCKS!

Thanks apple...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You could try Photoshop Elements 2021

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html#

There's also Affinity Photoshop, 50% off the normal price at the moment

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/#buy

Both are standalone applications so no subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, I talked with a tech from Adobe and he directed me here as they don't support this one anymore. I figured a company would stand by its products, Wrong I guess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure Adobe stands by their products.  But not FOREVER.   CS4 is 14 years old!   You had the chance to upgrade from CS4 to CS6 until 2017 when Adobe pulled it.  If you had upgraded then, you would still have software you can use today, albeit on older operating systems.

MODERN OPTIONS:
Photoshop Elements 2022 (no subscription needed).
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 12 months). Includes the following:
- Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
- Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
- Lightroom Classic
- Portfolio website + hosting
- Spark with premium features
- Bridge
- 20 GB cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Creative Cloud All Apps (51 + apps & services) and Single Apps Plans
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

=============
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away! Real Adobe employees will never reach out via Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail or Skype.
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines