Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Please Stop Taking Features Away

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying latest release of Photoshop.

I use 'custom shape' to put an arrow graphic down.  An arrow graphic has been available to me in Photoshop for 15 years.

It's gone.  Poof.  Animals, Plant shapes, arrows are GONE.  

Photoshop, Adobe artists that have used your product for years want to depend on the basics.  I don't want to have to look online, find a .csh file for arrows, then try to import hoping it's not full of viruses.  Time wasted and fuss.  Tell your programers and software developers NOT to take features or things away that have been there for years.

Also I hit 'import default' thinking that would fix it.  No the genius Adobe Photoshop re-imports the same 3 sets of garbage shapes, animals plants etc.  R-click to remove ?  No, delete shapes is greyed out.  So I have a big messy list of animals, plants animals plants again.  With no way to remove?  This shipped like this?

Lastly.  I hit CTRL_SHIFT_S.  I'm in some nasty dialogue that does not list image types.  You want me to hit CTRL-ALT-S ????  After years of hitting CTRL_SHIFT_S, you are making us do CTRL_ALT_S.

Why?  This is silly why change such a used over and over hotkey function.  Then make the user click 'save as copy' ?  Why?  Did you hire different software developers that don't use Photoshop day to day ?  So, I re set that shortcut manually to force save as copy instead of save as.  Silly.  Hire new people PLEASE.

LAST beef.  Why are background locked?  So  dumb.  No offense.

So regardless of an image I load I cannot quickly ctrl c a section of that background.  Sorry no it's LOCKED.  Again why?  This annoys EVERYONE.  Forcing us each and every time to hit CTRL J to duplicate the background layer before we can use it.  Please remove that ridiculous lock, or make it an option in preferences to turn off.

Your welcome Adobe for the 6 minutes of wasted time typing here - to outline 3 obvious flubs made by your software team.  Fix the basics pls, don't change things on users pls.  Thanks.

John

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

@Nathkore 

The Save a Copy was forced on us by a change in macOS, so you can blame Apple for that one. Or you be thankful that the Adobe engineers came up with a fix in 22.4.2 (PS 2021) and you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

As for the Background layer, it's always been locked, cannot have transparency, and cannot be re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»It's gone.  Poof.  Animals, Plant shapes, arrows are GONE.«

Have you tried »Legacy Shapes and More«? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

»It's gone.  Poof.  Animals, Plant shapes, arrows are GONE.«

Have you tried »Legacy Shapes and More«? 

@Nathkore 

To find "Legacy Shapes and More", open the new-ish Shapes panel from the Window menu (not options bar) and use the panel menu. This panel was introduced in PS 2020.

You can also use the Shapes panel to remove the duplicates you accidentally created using the dropdown in the options bar.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lastly.  I hit CTRL_SHIFT_S.  I'm in some nasty dialogue that does not list image types.  You want me to hit CTRL-ALT-S ????  After years of hitting CTRL_SHIFT_S, you are making us do CTRL_ALT_S.

You are free to check Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling > Enable legacy "Save As". 

And please think twice before calling things you haven’t read up on »silly«. 

LAST beef.  Why are background locked?  So  dumb.  No offense.

So regardless of an image I load I cannot quickly ctrl c a section of that background.  Sorry no it's LOCKED.  Again why?  This annoys EVERYONE.  Forcing us each and every time to hit CTRL J to duplicate the background layer before we can use it.  Please remove that ridiculous lock, or make it an option in preferences to turn off.

Of cource one can copy a Selection of a Background Layer. 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible to illustrate your problem? 

Anyway, some Adobe employees thankfully frequent this Forum but mainly you are talking to other Photoshop-users here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nathkore 

The Save a Copy was forced on us by a change in macOS, so you can blame Apple for that one. Or you be thankful that the Adobe engineers came up with a fix in 22.4.2 (PS 2021) and you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

As for the Background layer, it's always been locked, cannot have transparency, and cannot be reordered.

A locked Backgound layer was required through Photoshop 5.0, then Alvy Ray Smith figured out how to get transparency on the Background layer and Photoshop 5.5 came out. We used to have to make a copy of the Background layer, but that changed over 20 years ago. You can click the lock icon once to unlock it and convert it to a regular layer or you can trash it, as Background layers have not been required since 1999.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the Background layer, it's always been locked, cannot have transparency, and cannot be reordered.

A locked Backgound layer was required through Photoshop 5.0, then Alvy Ray Smith figured out how to get transparency on the Background layer and Photoshop 5.5 came out. We used to have to make a copy of the Background layer, but that changed over 20 years ago. You can click the lock icon once to unlock it and convert it to a regular layer or you can trash it, as Background layers have not been required since 1999.

Some image file formats don’t support Layers/Transparency so when opening a jpg (for example) one has to be originally presented with a Background Layer. 

But quite frankly I am not sure what the OP’s actual issue in this case.

»I cannot quickly ctrl c a section of that background« seems either incorrect or an incomplete description. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to this friendly forum, note you are talking to other users, you are not addressing Adobe on here.

I think you're wrong on most of your rants as c.pfaffenbichler has kindly explained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So regardless of an image I load I cannot quickly ctrl c a section of that background. 

I still wonder what you actually meant by that – are you trying to cut, delete, … as opposed to copying (ctrl-C by default)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines