Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe subscription charges an early cancellation

Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They wouldn't let me cancel during my "trial" and now after they autimatically took $20 out of my account, they want to charge me $40 for an early-cancellation? Straight up scam. I will NEVER use Adobe again. I'm a freelance graphic designer and have a very low income. This is a straight smack in the face. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Actually, the software is pretty amazing.  If you're freelancing as a graphic designer, I'm not sure how one would get by without Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

The best pricing is, of course, the academic pricing.  If you're enrolled in a community college course, that's usually the easiest way to get that pricing.  Actually, Adobe extended Creative Cloud at no cost until the end of May for students currently enrolled in a class.

I'd reach out to Adobe again and tell the agent that du

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the software is pretty amazing.  If you're freelancing as a graphic designer, I'm not sure how one would get by without Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

The best pricing is, of course, the academic pricing.  If you're enrolled in a community college course, that's usually the easiest way to get that pricing.  Actually, Adobe extended Creative Cloud at no cost until the end of May for students currently enrolled in a class.

I'd reach out to Adobe again and tell the agent that due to COVID-19 you cannot continue your subscription at this time.  Also, you can file a dispute with your credit card.

Next time you sign up for something with a trial period, keep a close eye on the end date of the trial if you think you don't want to continue.

Oh, also, your subscription is a business expense that you should be able to deduct from your taxes (check with your accountant).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could always use GIMP or another designing software easily. I used to own a physical older version of Photoshop and wanted to try out the newer version. I regret it. It would be one thing if I waited out the whole 7-day period, but I didn't. I tried to cancel the trial and it gave me an error. Not only am I mad because I couldn't cancel my trial and had to pay the $20 anyways, but now they're expecting me to pay $41.98 for an early cancellation. Nowhere in that agreement did I see a cancellation fee or I wouldn't have signed up to begin with. Not only that, but I can't take my card off of my account even after adding another card to it. What they're doing is absolutely disgusting and there are plenty of others on here who have been screwed over by them as well. I'm not a student, so I don't have any benefits of getting a discount anyhow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean get by? You realize adobe is not the only company providing design software.

Their products have become expensive, and resource ineficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try contacting customer care via the speechbubble-icon here

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

but keep a cool head and keep in mind that if you should be able to communicate with an actual person that person is not Adobe. 

But quite frankly I don’t undertand your issue completely: How did Adobe even have acces to your credit card (or pther mode of payment) if you only ran the trial? 

As concerns »early-cancellation penalty« some people seem to have misunderstood in the past – depending on the plan the specific price would only apply to preset periods of time with no option of random termination and payment for only the time passed at that point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wouldn't even let me sign up for the trial without entering my information first. I tried to contact through the customer service during my trial period, nothing was resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked out the »am I eligible for a refund«-section here? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/cancel-subscription.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cancel your bank card. It worked for me. Actually I paid for 12 months, then didn't find how to cancel... and I cancel my card)) too expensive,  plus I didn't really use the programs. Their free trials are the same. Not free at all)))) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree. I am in the same situation. I cannot cancel a subscription on wich I entered on a Monthly basis because I wasn't sure I would use it. I chose to pay $59 a month just to be able to cancel it when needed. It is unbelievable. The contract is not clear, it is not shown  uncospicously and it is a boiler plate trap for customers.   It is even worse that you have to pay a penalty for getting out. I am cancelling with my bank directly and report it at what it is, a consumer scam. 

I will also report it to consumer protection agencies and make sure I never use any of their products ever again  and communicate that to as many people I can to prevent being scammed. 

It is worse that a time share... St least they offer you free breakfast to sell you the product you will never be able to get rid off! Shame on you Adobe! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scammed me also!  never again.  fool me once. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SCAM ALERT!!! I just had the same issue, I am so disappointed! I always thought of adobe as the best resource program for artists. I bought my first version 22 years ago, I used it for years until 2018 when I got a subscription for a few years, I stop using it and just got a try-out version to open a file in illustrator. I used it for a few minutes, I thought I had canceled, I just realized were charging me $56. 83 for the past 4 months, when I tried to cancel the penalty for canceling was $113, really sad and disappointed. 

That offering of a free trial for 7 Days to later claw potential customers with a penalty of $113 if canceled, is an unprofessional, an-ethical business policy. The lowest SCAM tactic. Really unfortunate, people who sign up are trying to get a feel of the program (Learning) Usually freelance, students. Really disappointed. I will start my search for another system and hope to support it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never used your apps/clouds etc. You charge me for renewal because i did not know how to cancel my free subscription. You charge me monthly for 15 usd and when i found out how to cancel it in your site, you will charge me 85 usd for early cancellation! What a scam!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened too me I'm sorry but adobe won't be getting anything anymore. I wasn't able to cancel because there was an early cancelation fee of 40 dollars and my account kept getting charge 20 dollars because of the subscription I see they like too lock people in and give them a no way out. DEAD WRONG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me as well! I used to use the Creative Suite a ton, then switched to Procreate. I wanted to see if there was anything worth using for me (especially since I love Adobe Rush), but had no idea there was going to be a Cancellation fee of $200!! Not clear AT ALL. I will NEVER EVER EVER USE EVER AGAIN. Absolutely disgusts me. As a Marketer myself, this shocks me that a company would do this to their customers. Psychologically, these kinds of experiences create extreme negative aversion. When I am older and my disposable income increases, do you know where my money will be going? NOT to Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to use the Creative Suite a ton, then switched to Procreate. I wanted to see if there was anything worth using for me (especially since I love Adobe Rush), but had no idea there was going to be a Cancellation fee of $200!! Not clear AT ALL.

By @Shalene258269406ef2

The cancellation fee is half of the remaining due. This is because you are not respecting your engagement to subscribe (and pay) for a complete year. You could also have subscribed on the month, which is more expensive, but cancellable without a fee anytime.

As a side note: It's well documented in the terms and conditions, which are about a computer page in readable character size. So, it's different from what my telecom company presented to me, when I subscribed my mobile phone contract.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are defending scumbags who are scammers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is common in many industries and services.

If there was no early termination fee to break contract, the service would likely be more expensive.

The following thread is very helpful:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/account-payment-plan-discussions/adobe-s-subscription-amp-cancellatio...

Some other links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termination_fee

https://lawpath.com.au/blog/contract-termination-fees-are-they-legal

https://legalvision.com.au/termination-fees-unfair/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines