• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After update to CC 2017 I lost ALL MY ACTIONS!

Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. I was really surprised, when didn't find all my actions! Can somebody help me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Try menu edit>Presets>Migrate Presets.  If that does not do it copy the actionpalette presets file from your previous Photoshop versions user id  presets into your user id's cc 2017 presets folder.  Even if prior versions of Photoshop has been removed  its likely your user id Photoshop resets are still on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try menu edit>Presets>Migrate Presets.  If that does not do it copy the actionpalette presets file from your previous Photoshop versions user id  presets into your user id's cc 2017 presets folder.  Even if prior versions of Photoshop has been removed  its likely your user id Photoshop resets are still on your machine.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack. I am a MAC user. I have the same problem and I cannot find the old actions anywhere. That said I may be in the wrong area but, boy this is so frustrating I would be extremely grateful for any expert knowledge you can give me.

I have attached a screen shot showing where I am.

Thanks

JamesScreen Shot 2016-12-19 at 11.00.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use a Mac.  On Windows and Macs each version of  Photoshop Installed in to different File system tree.   Each version of Photoshop stores Application dates for each system user in the users private space.   Your not looking for where Photoshop is installed.  Your looking for the Application data  the different Photoshop versions have save data for your USER ID. I would think what you looking for on you Mar would be under users not under applications like on windows.  I belive your looking in the wrong tree.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I have also looked under User but can't find anything. These updates are so frustrating when you just need to get on with the work you have.

Thanks for trying to help.

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did not save the action sets you created actions in.  The only place you may be able to recover them from are from old Photoshop version user preferences in a file named "Actions Palette.psp".  Anytime you create or change actions you should save their Actions sets so the are safe. Should your Photoshop Preferences be reset you can always load you saved action sets.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack wrote:

If you did not save the action sets you created actions in. The only place you may be able to recover them from are from old Photoshop version user preferences in a file named "Actions Palette.psp". Anytime you create or change actions you should save their Actions sets so the are safe. Should your Photoshop Preferences be reset you can always load you saved action sets.

Good advice JJ.  When I am updating an operating system, or transferring to a new computer, I back up the entire App Data\Roaming\Adobe tree.  It's 3Gb on my desktop, whereas the entire App Data tree is 14Gb, but that's a very average pen drive's worth nowadays. 

I've just checked to see what was left in Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CC 2015.5\plugins and Presets, and discovered that my Flaming Pear plugins had been left behind (I only use them occasionally, unlike Eye Candy 7 which I use most days).  The point is, it pays not to get too tidy minded and delete the old version folders for the sake of <10Mb!

In fact I extended my look around to the App Data\Roaming\...  old versions, and found an orphaned folder with a dozen cloth texture xml files that didn't migrate to 2015.5 or 2017.   It looks like I slipped up with that, but I bet I am not alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I answered in another thread, but your actions remain in your previous Photoshop folder under Presets/Actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just now updated to CC from CS5.1  All of my actions and brushes are gone after I did Edit>presets>migrate presets.  There is nothing in the actions folder in either version.  I'm not terribly savvy with this stuff so I don't know what to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well; my actions have survived many updates till now.

I have a file from fall 2012. Since then all updates have gone fine.

This time, as i remember, i was told that settings should survive. So i did not back up ...

But all actions from the last 4 years are now gone.

I managed to find my key-shortcuts and workspaces in the former version folders. But searching for .atn does not produce any result in c:

Very sad ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you look in your user id hidden applications data area you old preferences should be in there.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - i was there and recovered workspace, color settings, and own key-strokes.

I was though looking for actions in a .atn -file.

But when i took the old "Actions Palette.psp" and placed in the 2017 folder, than it worked

Wonderful - saved me tons of time !

Now i am up and running ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JJMack !!

Solved the problem I came searching the community for!

Gotta love the community, and the folks that give so freely of their time and experience!

Best,

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When ever you create new actions or actionset or edit actions.  You should Save the Actions set to you own folders you create for saving thing you add into Photoshop. That if your Photoshop preferences get reset or you you install an new Photoshop version. You and always add you addons into Photoshop from where you saved them.

If Edit>presets>migrate presets doe not offer to migrate your CS5 presets. You can try using menu Edit>Presets>Import/export Presets. the closest version I have to CS5 is CS6 User ID preferences are on windows stored in

"C:\Users\Your User ID\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5"

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines