• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ALL BRUSHES ARE GONE AFTER RECENT UPDATE ...

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

all my over the last few month downloaded and installed brushes are gone after the recent Photoshop Update! Where are they? I did not delete them and I can not find them in the brushes panel.

Where did Photoshop store my brushes when I installed some downloaded or custom made brushes? How is the path to this custom installed brushes if i imported them, because I have several time machine backups of the last few weeks, where my installed brushes are for shure included, but I do not know, where they are.

In Application/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019/Presets/Brushes there are only "Converted Legacy Tool Presets.abr" and "Legacy Brushes.abr" but none of my huge collection of other brushes!

Is there another location where my installed brushes has been stored?

Please help me, do I have to install them all again?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Hi pp4841592,

Sorry that your custom brush library in Photoshop is missing after a recent app update.

It seems that the Preferences in Creative Cloud desktop was left marked checked when you updated the app. To keep or not keep prior version preferences (which includes presets, brushes, actions, workspaces), make sure that's unchecked: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html#Autoupdate?mv=product&mv...

Otherwise, make back ups of your user library to make copies of y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Hi Akash,

thank you so much 🙂 🙂 ... I could restore all my brushes from the time machine backup by fetching back the user library preferences. I am so happy, thank you.

Greets.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pp4841592,

Sorry that your custom brush library in Photoshop is missing after a recent app update.

It seems that the Preferences in Creative Cloud desktop was left marked checked when you updated the app. To keep or not keep prior version preferences (which includes presets, brushes, actions, workspaces), make sure that's unchecked: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html#Autoupdate?mv=product&mv...

Otherwise, make back ups of your user library to make copies of your preferences and presets. Locations can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html

I'd recommend that you re install the presets again.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash,

thank you so much 🙂 🙂 ... I could restore all my brushes from the time machine backup by fetching back the user library preferences. I am so happy, thank you.

Greets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update.

Glad you were able to restore brushes from TimeMachine. 

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links doesn't work at this time. does everyone have the right links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than pivoting towards the latest trends (NFTs/Collaborative Workspaces/Online storage), maybe work on these bugs that have been plaguing us for years? Tired of having to spend time troubleshooting and searching online only to find these weak "work arounds"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

links do not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ive just had this from photoshop automatically updating. personally i feel auto updates should be automatically disabled as it will remove the users brushes and presents without real permission and then ask the user as this completely caught me off guard without any warning 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still the same problem in2023!! something so important and is a small checkmark?? Make it a prompt at least!!! Lost all my custom brushes in the latest update.....countless prompt for update but not a single one for something so important as retaining your preferences....stupid Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens all the time. And I am soooo tired of Adobe installing a NEW version of the entire program, instead of just updating the current one!! It's incredibly annoying and frustrating. Years ago it was such a smoother process to upgrade. Now it sucks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's because you had to buy them, so you were prepared.

The first thing everyone should do, is disable automatic updates. That's what catches people off guard and causes most of these complaints. Stay in control.

Next, uncheck "remove old versions". Keep the old version around until you're confident that everything works and is set up as you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they keep getting removed and I have "Import Previous Settings and Preferences". 

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 6.07.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. EVERY time there is an update I lose ALL of my styles, swatches, brushes and actions. It sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and it just happened again today, with no warning of course - what a pain in the arse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My update settings were also set to "Keep preferences", yet I still lost all of my brushes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me-  the "correct" answer says to "keep or not keep" preferences you need to actually keep the "keep preferences" box unchecked... so if you want to keep preferences... Love how they make that super clear 😫

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Removes brushes, tools preset is left though. Checked Keep preferences but I guess nope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this still happen to you with the 2023/2024 updates?

I'm about to lose my mind having to reinstall all my styles/actions/brushes with every update or if I have to delete the app to fix something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NicolelAlene 

Save it out! Store in a safe place and reload in the new version - or whenever you may need.

It's not just version updates. If you need to reset preferences for some reason, actions and brushes are gone.

All this is stored in your user account, not in the program files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not update like Akash said, but I'm also missing all my brushes and patterns that I made in the last 2 years. There were here yesterday and they are not here this morning. I didn't update between, I just got an error that my gradients were corrupt, and those were gone too. If I didn't make backups of my library, how do I get them back??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same thing is happenning to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me, did you ever get the issue resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines