After PS crashed the entire Action menu has been deleted
And there's nothing in the action folder

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

If the Action sets (folders) were saved from the Action panel menu, they can now be loaded from the panel menu. If the set was never saved, they are gone.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Action sets (folders) were saved from the Action panel menu, they can now be loaded from the panel menu. If the set was never saved, they are gone.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is and I might be wrong i think that ppl mean the atn file itself keeps going missing.  I did have over 60 actions saved on a folder called actions but they all go missing and I have to start again must be a reason for this ? Anyway thx for all help so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the reason is neglect. Adobe has neglected to fix this issue FOR DECADES. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .atn file is separate. What you see in the panel is the .psp file contents, which may or may not be saved to or loaded from an .atn file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use system backup: restore points in windows or time machine in macos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a restore point may backup you Photoshop references in time if it does not you may be able to get your user ID old Photoshop if backup users Application data.  They are in your user ID Photoshop preferences in a file named  "Actions Palette.psp" On windows my path is

"C:\Users\(your User ID)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings\Actions Palette.psp"

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank YOU sir for the windows path.  Totally saved my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this hapen to me. I see the Actions Pallette in my folder view but if I go into PS, click load actions and go to that folder and try to load them the file isn't there. It acts as if it is not the correct folder type and doesn't show it. What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you save the Set previously? Before you tried to load it? Action sets have a ".atn" extension. Try doing a search of your hard drive to see if you saved it in another location.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are trying to load the .psp file into the panel, you can't. The panel loads .atn files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More here, however, I don't hold much hope... You just have to live and learn in this case:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/01/photoshop-custom-action-file-backup.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote a script to open the various preference file folders which may be hidden:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/script-to-help-back-up-photoshop-settings/m-p/11517871

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, Adobe has refused to address this loooooooooong standing issue, leading to countless users losing countless hours of work. All that needs to be done is that Actions are autosaved to a folder where all the other settings in Ps are autosaved. That Adobe doesn't seem to care about this and the users who suffer from it just blows my mind. How many more decades do we need to wait before Actions are auto-saved (and synced/backed up to the cloud)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All that needs to be done is that Actions are autosaved to a folder where all the other settings in Ps are autosaved.

By @Earth Oliver

They are already.

In the Preferences folder there is a file called ActionsPalette.psp. All your actions are stored here. If you save out this file and wipe all your actions, you get them back by copying this file back in. I just tested this.

But that is obviously not the recommended method, partly because you can't tell what's in there, and partly because it doesn't safeguard against corruption. Like everything else in the Prefs folder, it is rewritten on every closeout, proper or irregular.

The recommended, and most practical/efficient way, is to save out as .atn from the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said, @D Fosse . And in addition to actions, everything that is customized needs to be saved: brushes, swatches, and gradients, to name just a few — but everything!

IMO, users have three choices:

• learn how to Photoshop works so you don't lose files and settings
    or
  • create a feature request or bug report
    or
  • complain in the forums that Adobe doesn't care as was done in this thread. 

Photoshop is 33 years old, and I suspect some of the staff were toddlers or unborn in 1990 when these decisions were first made. We don't know what they are working on or how hard it is to implement some of these changes to decades old code. But they do care. They care very much.

@Earth Oliver you might want to create a feature request following these guidelines:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/1238...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines