• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All my own settings lost with the latest Photoshop update!

Contributor ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is basically my greatest concern when I'm going to update any app, and this is true with Adobe PS! Against this concern of course persuades me the the new capabilities of the app. - AND I MET THE PROBLEM AGAIN. - All my own shortcuts were lost! Now I need to use the mouse to do everything, by searching all the menus.... This is a nasty thing, as this causes some trouble for me wrist, but essentially, makes my work slow because I need to go thorugh the menus which I really do not remember!!! I just liked use the shortcuts of mine. They were functional - and they are now lost. Therefore, I need to start to go through all those (damned) menus... 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

next time backup your preferences 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Hi. I do have a backup, in fact several 🙂 I just didn't know if I could use it for getting back my settings, as I do not know the inner life of PS (upon installation I chose Keep the settings!!!). In other words, what I can safely copy between PS versions. Anyway, through your link I understood that I can simply copy the old settings to the PS 2023 settings folder. And now everything works fine. I just wonder if I have "lost" some feature (?) from PS 2023, as my settings are now from the previo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

next time backup your preferences 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I do have a backup, in fact several 🙂 I just didn't know if I could use it for getting back my settings, as I do not know the inner life of PS (upon installation I chose Keep the settings!!!). In other words, what I can safely copy between PS versions. Anyway, through your link I understood that I can simply copy the old settings to the PS 2023 settings folder. And now everything works fine. I just wonder if I have "lost" some feature (?) from PS 2023, as my settings are now from the previous version. - By the way, I even didn't need my backup to get the settings back: The Preferences folder seems to contain settings from all my previous PS versions. So I just copied them from a folder to another. Regards, Tuomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good to hear that!

i doubt your settings are blocking any new feature because, i think, most of us retain our previous settings when updating adobe apps.  if that were to cause a problem, i would hope adobe would provide an alert message.  and you can always check the new features and make sure those that interest you are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(i allowed for a glitch = unexplained cause of the problem you had.)

anyway, all's well that ends well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS?

My settings always carry over from updates (on Mac). But indeed, have a backup of preferences and action sets.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's an option when updating to keep (or not keep) preferences.  apparently the op inadvertently chose to not keep them, or there was some glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, that's happened previously at least with PS2022 updates. But not this time with the major update, although I also had the keep option chosen. One more thing. Two scripts for shifting fluently between open PS documents (obtained from Stephen_A_Marsh in this forum, and once more thanks!) didn't either transfer to PS2023 although that did happen with PS2022 updates. It took me a while to sort out this problem, as I had of course forgotten all my "megabytes" on the issue. Interestingly, PS2023 did not accept the old shortcuts for any obvious reasons for these scripts (they did not work although they were apparently accepted) but I succeeded in finding new functional ones.  - My iMac 27" is with the MacOS 12.5.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines