Alpha Chanels

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm very new to the Photo Shop and already encountered a problem. I'm trying to make adjustments to a selection in Quick Mask Mode and wanted to use a paint brush tool to refine the selection. Getting an error message: can't change Alpha Chanel. What do I do wrong? The chanels seem to be automatically created in the panel on the right. If I delete any chanels, then the picture changes colour. Would be grateful for any advice.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What is the Selection for ultimately? 

Why are you working in Quick Mask instead of using a Layer Mask right away? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Many thanks for  your quick reply. I can't send you a screenshot as I continued to work on my selection and eventually found the way to adjust it. It's a picture of a head and I wanted to change the background. The Quick Mask helped me to see what was selected. I'm just starting Layers on my course so it's a slow process. I was thrown by the Alpha Chanel message on my screen - my picture appeared as a new chanel.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep an eye on the Channels Panel in such cases – which Channel’s are selected, which Channel/s are visible, …

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Quick mask mode . a new channel will be created temporarly, 

you can access quick Mask mode by pressing Q 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alpha channel is, more or less, a saved selection. If you have already created an alpha channel then you have to be working on that channel to modify it. With a selection, there is no permanent channel so you use Quick Mask mode (Q) to show it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much. That's much clearer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines