Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alt drag to copy an object - locked layer

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I try to alt drag to copy "blue circle" but instead Photoshop grabs and tries to copy "tint" even tho its locked (apparently it does that by default to any locked layers anyway).

It's frustrating - now to do that I need to turn of "tint" layers viability then do alt drag to copy the circle.

Wouldn't it be more natural and convenient if you can not drag and copy locked layers?

What you guys think, do you have same problem or its just me, maybe there is a setting I can change?

tint.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Could this issue be related to the Auto-Select option that appears in the options bar when you have the Move Tool selected? When this option is on Photoshop will grab the top most layer under the mouse. When this option is off Photoshop will move whatever is selected within the Layers panel.

auto-select.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not seeing the issue with Photoshop CC 2019 what exact version do you have, have you tried resetting Photoshop preferences

Reset Pref.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20.0.4 release

Tired it.

I really think everyone's Photoshop does that and its not a wrong preferences thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested and still can't replicate your issue, alt clicked on the circle layer and dragged it up to make a copy, works as expected, maybe I'm misunderstanding your issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ged, you are on Lock All, and we haven’t seen or heard which lock the OP has (unless I read too fast?)

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There are four kinds of locks, in addition to Lock All (which has a slightly different icon). If you have locked for transparency, for instance, you would still be able to move the layer.

Two solutions:

• Lock for move (or all)
  • In the options bar, turn off Auto Select (far left)

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Giedriuqaz

It suddenly occurs to ask:

Are you alt-dragging in the layers panel or in the document window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assumed the OP was alt dragging the layer from the layers panel, now it makes sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this issue be related to the Auto-Select option that appears in the options bar when you have the Move Tool selected? When this option is on Photoshop will grab the top most layer under the mouse. When this option is off Photoshop will move whatever is selected within the Layers panel.

auto-select.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you nailed their problem

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it's not related to Auto-select.

It is not the correct answer, the problem is Alt+Dragging a locked layer... A locked layer should remain locked and you should not be able to accidentaly duplicate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys i made a quick rough video example of my issue here:

2019-05-07 19-15-04 - Streamable

It seems that Alt + Drag feature ignores lock and treats layers as normal stack order.

Michael point out Auto select - I guess work around would be (with  ☑ auto select) Select a shape then ctrl + alt + drag

Ctrl deselects auto select temporary while alt+drag copies the shape.

I found it weird that we copy layer even the layer is all locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it weird that we copy layer even the layer is all locked.

The various locks that can be applied to a layer are designed to protect that layer in different ways. Duplicating a layer doesn't harm the original layer in any way so it is allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem i follow the process nothing changed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post some screen shots and/or explain a little further your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't harm the original layer but it is still frustrating because if you have multiple layers on top of the locked layer if you want to alt+drag a one of those layers and you misclick, the locked layer gets accidentaly duplicated. That's the issue everyone is having...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines