• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alt menu bar bug..?

Enthusiast ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it's really old bug.. maybe from 2013,2014?

I know this is a problem that not only Photoshop but also other Adobe users have experienced.

Bug or Some hapeen in really simple.

When press alt, menu bar activated. if that you don't want. + Weird Window Alarm sound.

So. If not press alt one more, can't anything(brush stoke, or anything).

So a typical third-party program (basic script-based) that addresses this is 

• (Link removed by moderator)

What I'm curious about is this. It's been reported in so many communities (Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, forums, even Adobe communities) since 2013, and it's really uncomfortable.

I'd like to attach all the links to them, but I don't think it's meaningful because it's at least a few thousand links. (Simply, just searching for photoshop alt menu bug in the Google search box gives you too many results.)

So what I'm curious about is this. I think it's a bug because it induces unwanted results or actions every time (not just me, but at least tens of thousands of people).

Are you willing to officially fix this unwanted alt menu bug in Photoshop? Or is this inevitable in Windows 10?

If it's impossible for Adobe to fix it because of the Alt+ keystroke system in Windows 10, we're going to run that auto-hotkey script, or a simple program based on it, every time we do it.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm curious about is whether this can be improved through Fix in Adobe (=we don't have to write a third-party program or script), or is it inevitable because it's a problem with Windows 10 itself?

This is the experience of not only Photoshop but also all users who use Adobe such as Illustration and Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Alt key to get to menus is not a bug but a function in Microsoft's Windows, used by many applications.

I would not want to see it removed as I find it a useful and quick way to access menus. However, I would have no objection to a preference being added for those who want to disable it. Whether that is practical, I have no idea as I am not an Adobe developer. Some onlinecscripts to disable it on line work on the operating system not the application, so can impact other applications which use that function.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I know it's originally a feature of Microsoft Windows.

I also think that the use of shortcuts for menu shortcuts should be maintained.

But what i'm talking about happen like this. 

This happens to people who press the alt key a lot, or often at short intervals. (for Retoucher or Digital Painter)

Of course, it is a good idea to activate the menu by pressing the Alt key and pressing a specific key. But what people are complaining about is that the Alt menu bar is fixed when you work by pressing the Alt key several times at short intervals. Not released.

If the shortcut is available as intended, and it is in the form where the shortcut works while pressing down on the alt, there is no reason for the menu bar to be activated when the alt is released.

But the point of asking if I'm a bug is, "Even though the alt key is released, the menu bar is active." So you have to press the alt key again unnecessarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the reason why I deactivate the menu bar with Alt key using the script (auto hot key) or other third-party program that I attached to the text is that I will not use the menu bar with Alt key at all. I don't like the function and it's not.

Even though you're not pressing the alt key, the menu bar remains active, and you have to press the alt key again to release it, so you use it because it's so inefficient.

So as I mentioned in the text, I don't know if this is a bug or not. And I also know that this combination of pressing the alt+ key is the intended shortcut form of Microsoft Windows.
But I'm asking if there's any improvement in Adobe programs because it's been about nine to 10 years since the bug (or what kind of happening) that recognizes that it's been pressed, even though it's not pressed often.

The improvement I'm talking about is not to get rid of access to the menu bar via Altkey, but to get rid of that bug by increasing the reload time or preventing incorrect keyboard recognition.
It's like a bug that's fixed as if you're not pressing the space bar right now, but you're still pressing the space bar.

So I'm cautiously suggesting that something needs to be modified at the time Photoshop accepts (or Adobe programs) keyboards are pressed and realeased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When press alt, menu bar activated.

By @Jqqerry

The early versions of Windows were installed on top of DOS back in the days when very few people had any reason to use a mouse and everything was done with the keyboard. The Alt key has always activated the menus when you tap and release the key without dragging or doing something else. Escape also exits the menus, btw. Since Macs have always had a mouse, this shortcut to enter the menus was never built into macOS.

One way to avoid activating the menus is don't tap Alt and then release it (but you might know this already.)

I've read that newer versions of Windows have the ability to turn off the underlined shortcuts. You might look or ask on the Microsoft forums.

Jane

EDIT: your last two posts came in as I was typing and I didn't see them. Also, Adobe Community Professionals are volunteers and any opinions are our own. Adobe staff will also read your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines