• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Always show rulers by default - Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMBG this forum's search function is nearly as useless and difficult to use as any other Adobe interface.

Is there any way to make Photoshop ALWAYS show the rulers by default?

Yes, I know it's not terribly difficult to turn the rulers on.  But I never DON'T want to see them, and it is tedious to have to turn them on EVERY BERKING TIME that I open a document.

Can anyone help, please?  Thank you.

[edit]  Seriously?!  The forum gives me 6 totally irrelevant tags to chose from, and then REQUIRES me to choose one before it will post this?  How berking stupid.  Par for the Adobe course.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Trevor:

I re-set my preferences and quit PS.  After restarting it, I did have to turn the rulers on once, but after 3 restarts and opening 3 different documents, they do seem to be staying on.  We'll have to see if that survives a computer restart.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set rulers on or off in Photoshop preferences without any document open to set as the default for new documents.

Command/Control + R for turning rulers on and off within a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek:

Thank you for the prompt response.  Can you pretend I'm an idiot and tell me how to do that?  Because I see no item for showing the Rulers in any of the Preferences tabs.  I have also tried locking my workspace with them on, to no avail.

I understand the keyboard shortcut, and it works... until the next time I open a new document or restart PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set rulers on or off in Photoshop preferences without any document open to set as the default for new documents.

By @Derek Cross

I didn't you could do that Derek.  The only option I can find is what units to use

TrevorDennis_0-1657033299507.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A slight modification:

Load a blank document and select Rulers (Command/Control + R) to have rulers on or off and close the blank document. When you open a new document the Rulers will default to on or off, whichever you selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If I enable the rulers and close Photoshop, reopen Photoshop and create a new document the rulers are there.

As for the forum issues, you can report them here Using the Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have something going on with your Photoshop.  Once on, the rulers should stay on every time you restart Photoshop and or open a new document, and this is the case for all three screen modes.  I don't any way to hide them other than using Ctrl r or from the View menu.  I hate to suggest resetting Preferences right off the bat, but this might be a situation where that is the only fix.  Give someone else a chance to answer first, because resetting Preferences is always a pain.

Yes, the forum search tool is entirely useless.  I prefer to use Google with site specific

And yes, the tab requirement for new thread is annoying, and you are far from the first person to saay that.

Good luck, and please let us know if a preference reset does fix your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the prompt responses.  I will try resetting my preferences and restarting.

If there was even an option to create your own tags on posts, it would be less annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trevor:

I re-set my preferences and quit PS.  After restarting it, I did have to turn the rulers on once, but after 3 restarts and opening 3 different documents, they do seem to be staying on.  We'll have to see if that survives a computer restart.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines