An outline appears around the brush strokes when I set it to 0% hardness

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eshayat25041323oqtl_0-1656406427313.png

An outline appears around my brush strokes whenever I set it to 0% hardness. I have tried resetting the brush presets but it didn't work. Does anyone know a way to fix this?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fail to notice an outline in teh image you posted. 

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I don't see it either, and if you could let us know what version of Photoshop you are using, and if you are using a mouse or a pen/talblet--that would help a lot.

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly to do with your monitor.  Our @D Fosse is the expert on that sort of thing.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the others, I don't see anything wrong here either.

It sounds like banding, which happens whenever data are encoded into 8 bit color depth, where you only have 256 discrete steps from 0 to 255.

Even if your file is 16 bit, your display is probably not, unless you have an expensive 10 bit capable monitor. In other words - if the file is 16 bit, any banding you see is in your display system, not in the data.

But note that at less than 66.67% zoom, all Photoshop previews are rendered in 8 bit! That means a 16 bit file will also diplay 8 bit banding. This is a common gotcha that can sometimes trip people up. This banding will disappear when you zoom in to 100%, so check that first. *

The problem with banding is that it's cumulative. It can happen in several places in the display chain - a bad monitor profile, calibration tables in the video card, the panel itself - and if they pile on top of each other, the result can be irregular banding that is very obvious.

As long as you work in 16 bit depth, it's nothing you really need to worry about as such - except if you make bad editing decisions based on a faulty display of the file. If it just bothers you to look at, the standard remedy is to add a tiny bit of noise. Not much, just enough to break the banding up.

* Here's how that looks:

zoom_banding.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To add to the above,  the latest Photoshop Beta (available via the CC desktop app) has a Technology Preview called 'Enable Uniform 16 bit depth'. You might want to give it a try as it keeps to 16 bit preview blending at all zoom levels.

It may look more obvious on a 10bit/channel monitor though, as on an 8 bit display some banding will already be present.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines