• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to notify the user when text overflows container? [ExtendScript]

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm new to ExtendScript, I find it hard to develop without proper documentation (I think InDesign JavaScript Reference Guide is the closest to one, please correct me if otherwise)

So I want to create a script that highlights in all opened documents if there is any text layer whose content overflows, as it is hard to spot quickly at a glance.

I only know that I can open dialogs and windows, but those prevent the user to interact with Photoshop until closed...

Is there any log or way to give feedback that stays visible while allowing the user to keep using Photoshop?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the Indesign Scripting Reference have to do with Photoshop? 

Have you seen this pdf? 

photoshop-javascript-ref-2020.pdf

I see no realistic option for what you want to achieve; though I have to admit that I might be misunderstanding your description. 

Could you clarify further? 

In any case Photoshop is not a great tool for type-intensive tasks and layouts; could you post an example to illustrate why you are not doing it in Indesign or Illustrator? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, sorry, I thought that was Scripting Reference for many Adobe apps, but it's only for InDesign... Thank you for the PDF!

I don't know why they don't use the other apps you mentioned.

My client works with Photoshop and wants to automatically translate texts in their art to several languages. I already did that part.

But in some languages the translated text is longer than the original and sometimes is hidden because the text layer is not large enough.

At the moment I can detect if that happens, and I could pop a dialog saying "Text X at document Y in language Z is hidden text, etc" but showing a dialog prevents the user from using Photoshop, so they'd need to memorize the info and close the dialog and then fix the problems hahaha

Thank you for your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Instead of an alert you could write a report as a txt-file (for example). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines