• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

any way to program hotkeys for custom brushes?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if there is a way to make hotkeys for custom brush templates?  They used to be called stamps I think.  I saw something online that said you could use arrow keys to go to a different brush, but it just seems to rotate them.

I study music and am trying to label the note(s)

music stamps.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice you don't have Recent Brushes enabled.  That is available as an option in both the Brushes panel, and right click brush panel.

image.png

I can't think of a way to asign specific presets to shortcuts with brushes, but if it is possible I suspect it would use Creative Cloud Libraries.  I have to go out now, but will try it later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks.  Having the recent brushes on top does help does make it easier.

I know how to sight read but I like to label what intervals the notes being played are from the harmonies.  It makes it a lot easier to visualize the patterns on keyboard (for me at least).

If there is any way to program the brushes into hotkeys I would buy another program to do it.  Would be so much faster!  I will look up creative cloud libraries, I'm mostly self taught in photoshop and I haven't heard of that.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I have tried it and it didn't work.

I created a new library and placed a music symble in that library (you simply drag from the brush panel to the library.

I then recorded an Action that selected the brush tool and selected the brush preset from the library.

Playing the action selected the brush tool OK, but did not select the preset from the library.

I tried various ways of coming at it but none worked.

image.png

Would there be any benefit from creating a library for your music notation presets, and selecting from that library panel which you would have open and convenient?  A problem with that is that the brush panel and Library both display a stroke of the preset rather than a single stamp of the brush, so you don't have a visual reference of what the preset looks like.

Another approach would be to create a shape layer of each symbol, and place them in a CC Library.  You can drag symbols from the library to the document.  

image.png

If you check Skip Transform when Placing you won't have a bounding box when you place the symbol.

The down side to this is that every symbol will create its own layer.

image.png

I don't know if I have given you anything to think about, but please ask if you have other ideas etc. if you need help with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your time.  That is actually a whole lot to think about!  I haven't taken any photoshop classes so I wasn't familiar with the libraries, I will have to look into that some more.

I put alot of what I made on my Behance page, Michael Wagner  I am trying to apply jazz music theory to very early compositions.  It's just for a hobby though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also store the shapes in the Shapes panel, but you'd still have the separate layers issue. If the Shapes are merged into one layer, you can then move each around with the Path Selection tool, for getting the placement right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, you might be on to something there. Having positioned one symbol as a shape layer, you could Ctrl Alt copy and move it keeping it on the same shape layer.  So long as you had any of the shape tools selected this would work all day long.

I am not able to get a screen shot that includes the tool icons, but hold down the Ctrl key and you'll see a wee black arrow that will let you move an object on the same shape layer.  Hold down both Ctrl and Alt and you can drag out a copy and reposition.  You would need to keep the area you were working on all on the same shape layer for this to work, but you'd soon get a decent workflow going.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to construct the whole score, or just label an existing image? Another way would be to use a musical notation font, such as Adobe Sonata.

If you're just adding to an existing score, like the red and blue in your example, you could use the Type tool with a font that has musical flats and sharps, such as Lucida Pro Unicode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have mostly been studying church hymns and easy classical/baroque things.  I like to expirement with different ways of writing them out.  I mostly have recreated those with keyboard diagrams I made in photoshop, I like to arrange them in columns and play going downward like an old piano roll.  I color the keys the left and right hands play in gray and blue, and label the fingers to use and which note of the scale the keys are.  I also just experimented coloring the Bass, Tenor, Alto and Soprano parts different colors so they are able to be seen easier, but it's hard to find that many colors that look good next to each other.

I just study public domain stuff, and do it for a hobby.  I don't sell it or anything.

hymn.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Holding the Ctrl and Alt keys down and dragging could be helpful for some things, I didn't know about that thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines