• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to set photoshop Save to no use compression?

Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I open a file in photoshop from Lightroom, then go to save it as a TIF, it defaults to ZIP compression. Is there any way to set this to use no compression as the default?

Also, is there any way to set photoshop to use IBM PC Byte Order to be the default instead of Macintosh?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Whenever I open a file in photoshop from Lightroom, then go to save it as a TIF, it defaults to ZIP compression. Is there any way to set this to use no compression as the default?

By @Tom Goodell

Just to be clear, do you mean Lightroom or Lightroom Classic? In Lightroom Classic, the compression method for raw files sent to Photoshop is set in Lightroom Classic, in Preferences, in the External Editing tab. That setting is carried into the Save As dialog box in Photoshop, so if you want TIFF c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last used settings are remembered in my tests.

This could be scripted or semi-automated with an action, however, you shouldn't need to.

Have you tried resetting preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Tom Goodell

Just to be clear, do you mean Lightroom or Lightroom Classic? In Lightroom Classic, the compression method for raw files sent to Photoshop is set in Lightroom Classic, in Preferences, in the External Editing tab. That setting is carried into the Save As dialog box in Photoshop, so if you want TIFF compression to be None, set up Lightroom Classic so that it sends TIFF files to Photoshop with None compression.

Lightroom-Classic-Preferences-External-Editing-TIFF-compression.jpg

Also, is there any way to set photoshop to use IBM PC Byte Order to be the default instead of Macintosh?

By @Tom Goodell

I believe Photoshop simply remembers the way you set it last time, but you should test that.

Is there a reason you need to set it to IBM PC? The reason for the question is that today, properly written software on any platform is coded to recognize both byte orders, so the byte order no longer matters. The option was added to Photoshop in the early 1990s, when byte order still mattered. But because of how software works today, many of us who use TIFF files on both PCs and Macs have not paid attention to TIFF byte order in over 20 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That explains it. I'm using LR Classic. The settings must have been reset at some point, because only recently did it start using compression again. And great to know I can ignore Byte Order—one less mouse click every time I save as TIF in photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And in terms of byte order in PS, it should be sticky (set once). 

FWIW, any modern software that follows TIFF specs shouldn't care. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines