• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anybody know, why lens blur not work on smart object?

Enthusiast ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until now i can not figureout about this problem,

My lens blur always greyed out (disable) on smart object.

How to fix this? thanks

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens Blur is a destructive filter so it cannot work on a Smart object as the others do. In this case you have to rasterize your layer or, if it was just an image layer anyway, don't make it a smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just expanding on what Brad @ Roaring Mouse has already nicely explained. In this situation I duplicate the Smart Object and hide the visibility of the original. I then rasterize the duplicate and apply the filter. If I need to adjust the blur I'll throw away the layer and repeat the process with different settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of rasterizing duplicated SO layer one can edit it and apply destructive filter in case editor wants to build on top using available non destructive filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice suggestion @Bojan Živković 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came across this while looking for something else about Lens Blur and even though this is old I felt the need to jump in as all of the replies in here are incorrect. Lens Blur CAN work on a smart object, it just isn't enabled by default (don't ask me why..). Photoshop used to come with a script to enable it, and it's still available from Adobe, but now you have to jump through some hoops:
Go to this downloads page: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/downloadable-plugins-and-content.html
On that page, download Scripting Listener, either the windows version or the macOS pre-2019 version (It doesn't matter which, you don't actually need Scripting Listener).
Unzip or mount the DMG of the version you downloaded, then go to the Sample Scripts folder, then Javascript
Inside that folder is a script called "EnableAllPluginsForSmartFilters.jsx". Run this script from Photoshop (File > Scripts > Browse, choose that script)
That't it! You can now use Lens Blur as a smart filter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very interesting. I will give a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

did it and it doesn'work. The downloade file is not a DMG but a zip file. Once extracted you just get a "ScriptingListener.plugin" not extractable… and not the files and folders you mentionned

I maybe missed something…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines