• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone having complete system lockups using Photoshop 2022?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I've been using Photoshop for many years but lately I have had Photoshop 2022 23.5.0 (in Windows 10 21H2) completely lock my system up twice.  Can't even Ctrl+Alt+Delete to end task.  It's most frustrating!  Any troubleshooting ideas?  I'm using an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 with a Dell XPS 8940 with 16GB and a 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD.  I'm not even doing difficult tasks, just creating a website photo mockup.

Thanks for any help in advance!!

Zack

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does "lock" mean freezing?

Did the problem occur only in version 23.5?

In Photoshop, friezing occurs for a variety of reasons (for reasons that I thought were really insignificant). (In my experience)

For example, I was using the latest version of Photoshop, and I only rolled back the camera raw because I liked the previous ui's camera raw. And I've had a crazy crash and freezing.

So, If you haven't done a rollback, I recommend that you rollback to 2021 version first. And if freezing occurs in 2021 version, try 2020 version.

Of course, you can try some ways before rollback, such as resetting configuration/native canvas off, but I don't think it will work for your problem. Check out the latest graphics drivers.

It is true that the 2022 version is a little less slow than the 2021 version, but there are many unstable parts in both the 2021/2022 win/mac os.

And the specifications of the computer aren't very relevant (at least since 2015), so if you have a certain amount of RAM, a certain level of cpu, Photoshop should work well.

However, it is strange that a lag or freezing occurs even though you are not working on a large image close to 10000px.

So, if you can afford it, as I said above, I recommend you to try all of them by 2021/2020 and 2018/2017/2015.5, and choose the version that suits you.

If you overclock cpu underbolts or ram latency or boost clock adjust that too. Incorrect overclocking may cause friezing in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jqqerry - sorry yes I mean freezing. 🙂  I haven't done any rollbacks, and the image is only around 1900x2500px.  Definitely not overclocking my PC.  Never trusted myself with that haha.  Thanks for your input, if it keeps happening after this latest .1 upgrade I will roll back to an older version.

Thanks!

Zack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Photoshop crashes, this is the first thing to do, try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder*, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Also: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

*To manually delete Photoshop preferences:
Quit Photoshop.
Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder:
MacOS**: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Windows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

**Note:
The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. In the Finder, hold down the Option key when using the Go menu. Library will appear below the current user's home directory. Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings

If that doesn't fix the issue:
Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.
Still crashing? 
Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Still crashing?  

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the delay responding - despite me having E-mail me when someone replies checked, it never notified me lol.

Ok I will definitely try that out.  Thanks!!

Zack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines