• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

apply effect at canvas bounds

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have what should be a common problem: To feather a selection, but NOT have it apply to the canvas bounds. For example, most often I make a rectangular selection to alter the balance between sky and foreground. I choose a rectanglar selection feathering X pixels. when I apply it, it effectively vignettes the selection. Today I got closer, finding a Google post that steered me to a checkbox: "Modify>apply effect to canvas bounds." But it didn't work. It's greyed out if I have a pixel value at the top, and turns on if I delete the value - but then has no place to insert a value. 

Pleas help. "Apply effect to canvas bounds" affirms this is a recognized need, so I must be missing an obvious solution.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make your selection with no feathering applied and then go to Select>Modify>Feather and uncheck Apply Effect at Canvas Bounds.

Screenshot-(806).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff, for your prompt response. Wonderful! Works! I"ve been looking for this off and on for years. I knew there had to be a checkbox for it. 

Thanks, also, mj.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark a correct answer if that helped 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dale5FD9 ,

Go with @Jeff Arola 's suggestion.

An alternate solution is to work with quick mask ask and paint a soft edge in where you'd like it using an airbrush type brush.

Let us know how you go

mj

mj_0-1646127698298.png

mj_1-1646127698393.png 

mj_2-1646127698285.png

Mohammed Jogie |
Adobe Certified Associate |  Expert | Instructor |
Adobe Community Professional | Creative Ambassador | User Group Manager |
Member International Society of Typographic Designers | Lifetime Friend International Council of Design | Interaction Design Association Local Leader |
Member Pan Afrikan Design Institute | Ambassador Visual Arts Network South Africa | Central Executive Committee Member Printing SA |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks again, Jeff and jm. What I need to know now is how to make a suggestion to Adobe for this tool to be instantly accessible, on the main page next to the feather size slider. I find the suggestions for improvement tool to be equally recondite, esoteric, abstruse and arcane. Usually there’s a feedback tab with a text box. Here we’re pushed to search after search.

Happy post-processing…

dfm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines