• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are MAC and Windows scripts identical?

Participant ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

........that is, will the same javascript run on both operating systems or must there be some customization.  I am currently writing scripts on Windows and I don't have access to a Mac for testing.  I am reluctant to give a script to friends in my camera club.  Is it possible a Windows script could do damage on their Macs ?

Thanks,

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an Extendscript developer and the scripts mostly are cross-platform compatible, however there are some things that vary between platforms. Any script could cause data loss if coded incorrectly, you'll want to do testing to make sure it works as designed.

I'd recommend picking up a used Mac for testing if you are serious about development. Since Apple is switching to its own processors, the resale value of Intel Mac computers has fallen somewhat. You should be able to pickup a late-model MacBook Air laptop or Mac mini desktop for a few hundred dollars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Offhand, the major differences are opening or saving to absolute file system paths. For example, the Mac doesn't have a C:\ drive. The use of relative paths for the user home account directory is cross-platform, so the Desktop path is the same for Mac or Win.

Adobe does provide good info on scripting for both platforms. The most obvious danger is removing/deleting/overwriting critical files or directories. Perhaps you can find a willing Max user at the club to test before you share with the wider group.

https://github.com/Adobe-CEP/CEP-Resources/tree/master/Documentation/Product%20specific%20Documentat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, there are just a few areas that you need to address, as stated previously, mainly with file types and paths. I mainly work on Win, but a friend gave me an old Mac that had color issues with the screen. It was enough to test the script that he wanted. I hated working with it, but it got the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines