• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Art file became backdated and corrupted?

New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked on a file on the 20th of this month, and tried opening it again today. When I did, the whole file was basically gone. All layers, all images, everything was now a flat image with black and red bars. Looking at the file information, it was also back dated to having been last edited on February 14th, which is inaccurate. Photoshop itself also didn't show me any recent files at all when I opened it, and many of my other settings had been reset somehow. Is there a way to possibly recover the file, and/or determine what went wrong with photoshop?

The program and file were properly saved and closed down before the computer was shut off when I worked on it last, so I am frustrated and baffled.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you saving to?

I'm wondering if you saved directly from Photoshop to an external source - either external HD or network server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either way - that is a truncated/corrupted file. I usually see this when saving direct to a server location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you are working out of something like Dropbox? If so, earlier versions may be accessible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael Bullo No. Dropbox is even worse than a network share. The auto sync features corrupt files all the time. Adobe's official stance is to save local then transfer. Never work directly off non-local sources or roll the dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Dropbox for my files for years without any issues.

But I do not use Smart Sync, which I imagine would cause problems, since it removes the local copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah check out the InDesign forum. Dropbox has caused havoc whenever a file has a temp file created (like AI or ID) and auto sync runs. IT corrupts the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer Agreed. I always work locally myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines