• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Art History Brush - can't make it work in CC on Windows

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the art history brush no problem with CS6, having been given step by step instructions what to do by a friend. But now I'm using CC, the steps I used to take don't work. This is what I used to do: 1. Make a new layer. 2. Click on History and then click in the box in the duplicate layer and the history brush symbol appeared there. 3. Select art history brush in the tools. This is as far as I can get now, because what I used to do then was 4. go to brush presets in the layer panel, choose a brush, then go to the art history brush symbol top left. Click on the down arrow and highlight the chosen brush, which had appeared there, and then start to cover the image with brush strokes. Then 5. go to Brush in the layers panel and select brush tip shape. Squash the circle to make it thinner and change the angle as necessary, and go over the image, restoring the shapes etc etc. But now, there is no Brush Presets in the layer panel, and I have searched in vain how to choose the brush and get it working in Brushes and in Brush Settings

I have watched and followed instructions in numerous videos on YouTube and also followed the instructions on Adobe, to no avail.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide like I had before, explaining how to do this in CC on Windows 10, please?

Hilary

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t quite follow your description. 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, History, Options Bar, …) visible? 

If you create a new Layer (presumably an empty one) and use that History State as the Source for the Art History Brush then the result would be empty, right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hilary0D44 wrote:

and go over the image, restoring the shapes etc etc.

Hi Hilary,

Since you are trying to restore parts of an image, I think you might want the History brush "Y" and not the Art History brush:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/tool-techniques/history-brush-tool.html

The Art History brush paints with stylized strokes that are set in the options bar:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/painting-stylized-strokes-art-history.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Since you are trying to restore parts of an image«

In that case a separate Layer with the intended content and a Layer Mask might provide an easier approach. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not trying to restore parts of an image.  I'm trying to make a photo look like a painting, using the art history brush.  I was hoping someone who is used to doing this would be able to give me step instructions how to do it.  I had no problem when on CS6 but since changing to CC I cannot make it work.  Nothing happens when I use the brush on the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, History, Options Bar, …) visible?«

Which Layer? 

And again: Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, History, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines